Any Reported Disasters?

Started by cingnut, March 22, 2007, 05:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cingnut

WOW!  I was cruising the forum for the Cookshack FEC100...  I was amazed by all the fires, ruined meat and damaged equipment being posted.  I have to tell you that the mere fact that I wasn't looking for that kind of info but it was so prominent and frequently discussed I am even more turned off to the product than I was when I saw the price tag!

This isn't meant to be a competitor bashing thread, it just made me think...  If these problems happen with other smokers, what kind of disasters (if any) have befallen our Bradley brethren??

Tiny Tim

I've lost 3 Bradleys in 3 house fires so far, but I like the ease of use on the unit too much to stop, and the insurance company keeps paying for the new smokers, so I guess I'll continue.  Although, I am starting to think that it's not a good idea to use the Bradley on top of the grill, while grilling steaks...I'll give it one more shot.

LilSmoker

Quote from: Tiny Tim on March 22, 2007, 06:32:59 AM
I've lost 3 Bradleys in 3 house fires so far, but I like the ease of use on the unit too much to stop, and the insurance company keeps paying for the new smokers, so I guess I'll continue.  Although, I am starting to think that it's not a good idea to use the Bradley on top of the grill, while grilling steaks...I'll give it one more shot.

Hi cingnut, well i think there have been incidents with the BS just like any other appliance, i think with common sense and using the product in the way that it was designed to be used, there's not too much to worry about.

When using my BS, i always make sure that the food being smoked never touches the cabinet walls, the vent is opened to the right ammount, and the water bowl is never dry. Other things to look out for, is to make sure the "V" pan is is not clogged up, and kept as clean as possible.
Sure accidents can happen, but it has to be said, a lot of these are user error  ::)

I would suggest reading and following all instructions properly, and if there is any doubt, there are more than enough helpfull people here that can give good advice if needed.

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

iceman

Common sense! Common sense! Common sense! Common sense! It really works! ;D Please be safe out there folks!

Habanero Smoker

I can recall two reported fires that started inside the BS. Though both members were vague in the reporting of details, it looked to me that it was neglect on the user's part. I can't recall the particulars.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

I've run three Bradleys over the past 4+ years and have only had one "incident"...and a valuable learning excercise it was!! I can now say with the earned passion that comes ONLY from experience.....ALWAYS, ALWAYS make sure that the smoker door is not only closed, but ALSO BLOCKED from opening when smoking your wife's cat.....otherwise the dang rascal can push his way out and if his tail was located too close to the heating element, it adds a whole new definition to the term "smoke chaser"!! 

manxman

QuoteI can recall two reported fires that started inside the BS.

Like HS, I can remember a couple of incidents being reported on the forum but they do seem very few and far between.

I seem to remember on one of them Chez posted back to say the person concerned had put the V tray in upside down channeling some of the dripping fat onto the heater element whilst the rest missed the water bowl and accumulated on the floor of the BS and the whole lot burst into flames!

Can't remember any other particulars other than lack of common sense seemed to play a big part!!  ;)

Manxman

icerat4

Well in once i was going to do back to back smokes with different stuff.I figured id just throw the next set of food in after i did pulled pork.WITHOUT CLEANING THE DRIP PAN IN BETWEEN.Well there was too much grease and sure enough i had a small fire in the box luckely i caught it outwise .The roof, the roof, is on fire song goes into play.SO THE  LESSON HERE BOYS AND GIRLS. IS CLEAN DRIP PAN AFTER EACH AND EVERY SMOKE.RATOUT. ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...