Planning to brew for the fair

Started by Consiglieri, March 23, 2007, 08:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

About that time to prepare a batch for our county fair so that it can age some, and so I have plenty of time to administer "quality control" sampling.  Last year, I entered an IPA and a Marzen.  This year, if my spiced Christmas brew hasn't gone off (or run out) I may enter it.  Looking for some recipes to give a try (and that smoked porter of MWS' sounds very appealing).

Of course, I'll have to fire up the smoker too; can't brew on an empty stomach.  Any suggestions for that menu are appreciated too.

Cheers.
Consiglieri

MWS

Consiglieri,

If you want an ale that ages well, I think you should brew a Double IPA. Follow your own IPA recipe but increase the grain input and boil time. I found that adding an extreme amount of hops at the last 20 min. (3 oz. Cascade), then 10 minute (3 oz. Willamette) stage of the boil really gives a nice hop flavour (not bitter) and aroma. Of course a couple of ounces of Cascades for dry hopping is a good idea for aroma. You can't go wrong with an IPA for summer IMHO.

I just returned from Bellingham Wash. and was inspired by an IPA that the Boundary Bay and La Conner Brewing Company have. I am a self admitted hophead.

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Consiglieri

I like IPAs and this double ipa idea will have to be tried.
Consiglieri