Spoiled Canadien Bacon?

Started by yojimbo, March 25, 2007, 08:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yojimbo

Just finished curing 8 lbs via Habsmoker method but have a question on safety.  I noticed on the second day of curing one of my ziplocks was not 100% sealed leaving about a 1/2 inch opening.  Should I be concerned about bacteria?  This is my 4th smoke with this method and all have turned out super.

Thanks

Gizmo

welcome Jimbo
The open bag should not be a problem.  The atmosphere itself is not in a vacuum to begin with so there is already air.  The cure's job is to kill the bacteria. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

yojimbo

Thanks Gizmo. ;D  Kinda figured it'd be ok but can't hurt to ask.

Habanero Smoker

Though you want to eliminate as much air as possible during the curing process, I don't believe there is any thing to be concerned about.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

coyote

Good to have you in the house YoJ....Coyote

West Coast Kansan

YoJ, if you want to be absolutely safe, go ahead and finish that piece and pm me ... I will give you my address to ship it to...  ;)

or just let us know how you like it... welcome!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

yojimbo

Thanks all for the welcome!!  Been a while since I been on.   Btw the Canadian Bacon was outta site (Great recipe Hab)!! .

Habanero Smoker

I got a couple of batches curing now. I forgot which member uses ginger in his cure. So one batch I add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger per pound, can't wait to see how that turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bunnydude

It is me who uses the ginger and it should really turn out great :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bunnydude on June 10, 2007, 11:02:28 AM
It is me who uses the ginger and it should really turn out great :)

Thanks for that tip. I can hardly wait to give it a try. I'm also going to make some pea meal out of both batches.

I
         don't
                   inhale.