5 Spice Pork Loin

Started by Scotty-G, March 26, 2007, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

On Friday, I went to the market to buy some brisket and pork butt but they were sold out of brisket and the pork butt did not look fresh enough so I asked for them to order more brisket and picked up a Pork Loin and a dozen chicken drumsticks instead.
Most of the chicken I had planned for making a curry dish.

Took the Pork Loin and dregged it in ground Asian 5 Spice, wrapped in plastic an back into the fridge.
On Saturday took the Pork Loin and marinated it in garlic, onion and apple vinegar.

Threw 2 chicken drums in with marinate.  Also marinated 2 more chicken drums in curry dish paste.

Everything went back into the fridge until Sunday.  Got a late start with preheating my OBS (~1pm)
Dialed PID into 180 and an hour later had 180 steady and even.

In went the Loin and 4 drums

40 min rotations of cherry and maple for ~3.5 hrs.

Looking for an IT of 170 on the Loin, it took until 1am to reach the temp!
Was having some trouble controlling the temp with the PID.  Temp shot past 180 to 250 before I caught it and brought the temp back down but still was having too much fluctuations.  Will try auto tune again next weekend.

It was too late to enjoy eatting that late as I had to be up in 4 hrs for work.  BIG LESSON LEARNED!!

So into the fridge everything went.  Tonight I thinnly sliced the Loin and

reheated with rice and a touch of hoisen sauce.  AWESOME!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D

My 18 month old daughter who is a REAL finiky eatter wanted to try a small piece.
okay...

SHE ASKED FOR MORE AND MORE AND MORE AND MORE.  SOON IT TURNED TO DEMAND!!!!
:D :D :D  Before I knew it, she ate half my dinner.

This was her first time trying smoked meat.  Potential new convert - right from the get go.  :D

As for the 5 spice chicken - she liked it but you could tell she preferred the pork.

The curry chicken (not a spicy curry dish) was WAY HOT and spicy - daughter DID NOT get any of that
Was okay - spice and heat was good, smoke flavor was a little light - definate potential.

Gizmo

Sounds like a future birthday present from Dear Old Dad.
Nice job Scotty-G.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Looks awesome Scotty. Nice to know your daughter likes it also.

nepas

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!