• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pennsylvania- The Jerky State

Started by PigOut, April 01, 2007, 07:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillysmoker

Hi Coyote,  Yes I am across state from you in a small town called Cabins, near Petersburg, WV.  Still "Almost Heaven".  Go eers.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

That does it PigOut!!! The weather is supposed to start hitting the mid thirties so it's time to try the ole jerky out! Man that looks good. Ann's been bugging me to get some made so I guess I better get with the program. That is going to be one heck of a treat. Thanks. ;D

NePaSmoKer

Looks good PigOut. The excalibur works great huh.  ;D

I have about 15 mins yet on my GM jerky.

nepas

PigOut

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

NePaSmoKer

Done GMJ, sprayed with PS to keep the micro critters out and some of it heading to the war zone. 5pnds of GM dont get ya very much jerky do it  :P

nepas

PigOut

Looks good nepa !!  I'll have to try ground meat sometime.

Arcs_n_Sparks

NePa,

For your ground meat jerky, do you use a kit or from scratch on the spices?

A_n_S

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on April 02, 2007, 06:15:14 PM
NePa,

For your ground meat jerky, do you use a kit or from scratch on the spices?

A_n_S

I use my own mix.
For 1 pnd of gm i use the following
1 Tblsp soy
1 Tblsp worchestire
1/8 teas cure #1
salt/pepper to taste
dried cilantro to taste (opt)
1teasp malt vinegar (opt) give it a nice zippy taste. I use my long john silvers packs  ;D

Mix everything and fridge it overnight. Just remember not to work your GM too much while makeing strips or sticks, friction makes it get way too soft.

You can double everything for a larger batch, just dont make it too watery. You want the GM kinda tacky.

nepas

Arcs_n_Sparks

Thanks. Manually form or extrude using a sausage stuffer or jerky cannon? Going to make some using your receipe, and another batch using High Mountain this weekend. Haven't decided to use my sausage stuffer or jerky cannon on the output side; getting different opinions....

A_n_S

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on April 02, 2007, 06:50:11 PM
Thanks. Manually form or extrude using a sausage stuffer or jerky cannon? Going to make some using your receipe, and another batch using High Mountain this weekend. Haven't decided to use my sausage stuffer or jerky cannon on the output side; getting different opinions....

A_n_S

I found that if you work the gm too much with the cannon it will get soft. IE pushing and tamping to much into the tube

On larger amounts i use my Dakotah stuffer  jerky extruder, the cold water pushing the gm keeps it nice and workable.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 02, 2007, 07:05:04 PM

I found that if you work the gm too much with the cannon it will get soft. IE pushing and tamping to much into the tube

On larger amounts i use my Dakotah stuffer  jerky extruder, the cold water pushing the gm keeps it nice and workable.

nepas

I haven't bought the jerky kit for my Dakotah. Does that work pretty good? Another member mentioned that with the twin extruders the jerky does not come out at the same rate on both sides. He had a hard time controlling it, and caused the meat to twist off the paper.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

carnie1

All this Pa jerky talk makes me wanna turn around and drive back to FL to make some more jerky,got in here to PA late last night, NePa, will be heading up your way tomorrow,will let you know when settled.

PigOut

Better save some of that jerky for the guest Nepa.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: PigOut on April 04, 2007, 04:20:26 AM
Better save some of that jerky for the guest Nepa.

Guess i'm going to have to unthaw the rest and smoke it. The dehydrator jerky is all vac'ed up and heading to the WZ.  ;D

nepas

Tiny Tim

Unthaw?  Don't that mean freeze? :D ;D