• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket

Started by Infalable, April 03, 2007, 05:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infalable

The last brisket I made was delicious. I will try one again soon. I bought a 9ish pound flat at Sams. I may try for the tip at a local butcher if not too expensive. Although my last brisket was successful there is always room for improvements. The flavor was great, extremely juicy, but looking for more tendernous. I smoked for 4 hours, cooked at about 200 for a total cooking time of 14 hours. pulled when temp was 195 ( I think). I was a way for awile and when I came back the temp was up there. FTC for 2 hours. Did I pull it out too late (would that adversely effect tendernous) or if I cooked longer, woulld it have been more tender. I did not boat. Next time I may cook in aluminum disposible pan and add mop sauce every hour or so.
I am hoping to achieve a piece of meat that falls apart just by looking at it. Thanks in advance. Any thoughts?

Wildcat

I do not think the higher meat temp made much difference.  If anything, it would have been more dry.  I suspect that the FTC may have been too short, or possibly the quality of the meat.  Always go for high quality, especially with beef.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

I would agree with Wildcat on longer FTC for more tender.  I will pull my brisket out of the smoker after the smoke and boat the brisket in apple juice and Jack Daniels, covered with foil while brining the IT up to 185.  after the IT is reached, bring the temp down to 140 or so or to the more traditional FTC for several hours later.  I have had a brisket so tender I couldn't slice it with a razor.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Infalable

Thats what I am looking for. I thought two hours was almost too long. After two hours though the meat was warm, but any colder and it would not have been warmed enough. When I FTC I usually wrap in a few towels and add a 2 cup pyrex w/ boiling water.

Habanero Smoker

About the internal temperatures, one very experienced member would take the internal temperature of his brisket up to over 200°F, and always have a perfect brisket.

I smoke/cook mine at 200°F, until an internal temperature of 185°F is reached, foil with a little apple juice or beef broth or a combination of both, and let in rest in a preheated microwave for an hour or so.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Infalable

I just talked to a local butcher. I will place an order for a brisket in a while. I bet better meat will help. Thanks all.

West Coast Kansan

Choice beef is fine.  Once in a while you will find a utility grade so just look for the choice label.

I have sampled Gizmo's brisket and it is OUTSTANDING tender, moist and flavor is great. My practice has been much like HabS. I will try one like gizmo next however, (except will keep it cooking in the Bradley) - man turf and all that... ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Infalable

When you guys boat do you sealt he foil up, or is it open ended (to retain the juices or mop sauces)?

Gizmo

Sealed to keep the moisture in.  It basically steams the meat to tenderize.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

owrstrich

gizzerdmo shared a few slices of his heavily guarded brisket last weekend...

i gotts to say it was better than anything i have ever done before...

butt i gotts to say that those long ftcs causes alzheimers... i have had complete briskets in full ftc completely wonder off... sometimes taking a whole day to reappear still in full ftc acting like nothing happened...

scarry stuff...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

LilSmoker

Quotebutt i gotts to say that those long ftcs causes alzheimers... i have had complete briskets in full ftc completely wonder off... sometimes taking a whole day to reappear still in full ftc acting like nothing happened...

scarry stuff...

;D ;D ;D
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tturaider

newbee here:  when yall talk bout boat what exactly od you mean? ???

ttu
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

West Coast Kansan

foil pan with a lid  ;) kind of the opposite of a boat really  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

tturaider

oh ok but what do you exactly use it for???

sorry at times im a little slow. i guess ive had too many beers in my life. :D :D
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite