Gyro Meat

Started by begolf25, April 24, 2007, 05:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

I not sure about the rest of you, but I love a good gyro. Unfortunately, I can only get a great gyro about 3 times a year. A Greek orthodox church has a gyro fest 3 times a year and they have lines out the door waiting for these.  Everywhere else that sells them in my area just doesn't compare.

Anyone have some good gyro meat and tzatziki sauce recipes?  Or know anywhere you can order some quality gyro meat?

Thanks!

Gizmo

Sorry Begolf25 but I am fortunate enought to have good gyro shops around (my favorite is the Greek Corner Cafe in Carmel Mountain, excellent taste and piled super high for under 5$) and a store about 8 miles that sells tzatziki and ground beef and lamb to make the gyro meat.  They also mix grind the meat for Kafta Kabobs or you can buy the seasoning there as well.
I have made my own tzatziki sauce (plain yogurt strained to seperate all the liquid, ground cucumber, garlic, and dill weed), gyro meat, and Kafta.  The unfortunate part is none of it is as good as the Greek Corner Cafe and for the 5$, its worth going there.  I still will try.  My past attempts have been a bit lazy as I did not fire up the rotisery and horizontal roast (Greek method uses the verticle roaster) the meat.  Went with a quick broilin in the oven.  So I think I was doomed from the beginning.  Next time.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

acords

Alton Brown did a gyro meat recipe awhile ago.  Search food network, I seem to remember it was pretty simple
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

IKnowWood

Bryan I know what you are going thru.  Over here near College Park / Greenbelt there was a great Greek Cafe  that had good Gyros. They closed down last Fall and sold out to Jamacin Jerk place.  I never made it to the local Greek Fest but I alwasy hear its great.

Now the only good Gyros and other Greek stuff (like Gyro Pizza) I get when we go to Myrtle Beach.  We found a great place down there that is perfect.  Best Gyro platter and Greek pizza ever.  Course only get there one time out of the year.  For ther 2 weeks down there we will drop by at least twice.  Great place, they recognize my voice on the phone when placing an order or when I drop in to order in person. And that a year apart from when we are there.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

begolf25

Gizmo,
I'll give your recipe a try, thank you!

Acords,
I did some checking and found his recipe. Don't know how I missed it as much as I watch Good Eats. Thanks for the tip!

IKW,

What is the name of the place in Myrtle Beach? My family and I are planning to get down there either this summer or next and I'd love to try it out. The Greek Fest I go to is in York, Pa. Might not be too far for you to travel for a great gyro.  ;D

IKnowWood

Bryan

We got a Greek Feast right across our campus.  We are just busy to drop by.  Most of the time its on a weekend we are going camping so we miss it a lot.  In Greenbelt, MD.

I will confirm on the place in Myrtle Beach, I have the menu in the RV.  But I think it is called "The Athenian Cafe" I will confirm.  We love the Gyro Pizza with Tzakziki sauce and Gyro meat and olives.  Only time I each olives willingly.

We are going down June 16th to the July 3rd.  Camping on the Beach.

I will get back soon once I get int he RV and pull the Menu.  They have great subs also.

They are located in the midpoint of Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach off 17 in the Kroger Shopping Center across of Chucks Steaks in Myrtle Beach.

IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes