• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Going to town!

Started by sagemt, April 27, 2007, 08:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagemt

I think I will be able to make it to town tomorrow and be able to pick up my Bradley Smoker.  It is a 70 mile trip to a Bradley dealer.  Can't wait to try it out.  I have been reading the forum here and have learned a lot of good information.  Still need to figure out what I am going to cook for my first time.  I don't need to have to travel another 70 miles to get something that I forgot.  Checked on the weather and it is going to be 80 with up to 30 mph winds.  That is a normal wind for this area, but the temp is kind of high for this time of year.  I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Mr Walleye

Hi Sagemt and welcome to the forum!

Lots of guys try chicken the first go around. When I first started I did ribs right of the bat followed by a butt. I thought... what the he11, might as well jump in with both feet! It just depends on your experience but you can't go wrong with a butt or the chicken wraps are great as well. If you haven't checked out Old's recipe site you should. Just click on the picture of the smoker at the bottom of my post. Lots of great tried and true recipes there.

Good luck and keep us posted

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

coyote

Welcome aboard Sagemt , Season your BS , throw in some meat , Have plenty of adult beverages on
hand and let the smoke roll. Learning is a lot of fun...and it never ends. The folks on the forum are
out of this world..........and they can help you with your smoking too. :) Look foward to watching you progress through your post.
                                                                     Let the smoke roll  8)

Coyote

Consiglieri

Welcome.  Ribs aren't too tough either and there's plenty of pointers on the site.  Plus, pork isn't as prone to smoke absorbtion as fowl.  If you dose a bird with too much, it can taste like a combination between an ashtray and 7-11 beef jerky. 

Good luck and welcome!
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

If you want something sooner than latter chicken is faster. If you just want to dive right in without to much preparation, put some chicken thigh in the smoker and bring them up to an internal temperature of 162°F-165°F. Only apply 2 hours of smoke. I generally use maple, or apple, or a combination of both.

Be sure to pick up a meat probe so that you can monitor the internal temperature of the meat. If that store carries a Maverick ET-73, it would be a good idea to pick one up. If 30 mph winds are the norm, you should put some thought in where you place your BS. Protect it from the wind as much as possible. With those types of winds, you'll have a hard time maintaining your set temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hillbillysmoker

This was my first venture.  It is quick and everything is spelled out and so simple to do.  The end product is also fantastic and it is still among my favorites.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sagemt

I am going to try the chicken.  Got my shopping list and heading out the door.  I think I might also throw a roast in with the chicken.  Have the chicken for lunch and the roast for dinner.  Hope it all works out.  I think I will use hickory or mesquite for both, what do you guys think?

Gizmo

I would suggest not doing both at the same time.  Chicken puts out a lot of moisture and that may not be a good combination with the roast.  I have not done both but there may be some others here that have and may have a better (more experienced) suggestion than I.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Welcome and post experiences.   ;D Much fun ahead  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

QuoteI would suggest not doing both at the same time.  Chicken puts out a lot of moisture and that may not be a good combination with the roast.

Welcome to the forum sagemt. I agree with Gizmo and would go for either chicken or roast, not both IMHO. Personally I did ribs and brisket for my first smokes.

Any which way....... enjoy!  ;)
Manxman

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!  Habs is on point, a Maverick is a very good accessory for the BS.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I have done chicken with skin, and pork loins at the same time. You didn't say how much chicken you were doing or what type of roast and how large. It should be alright, just make sure you check the internal temperatures of both. The only issue is that it will take a lot longer to get up to your smoking temperature. I always place the chicken above the pork. I have a lot of friends that restrict pork from their diet, so I do that as a precaution. If you are doing skinless chicken breast, moisture is not a huge concern. It's chicken with skin that creates the moisture problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sagemt

Got the smoker home.  Set it up and just started to season it.  Smells great already.  The only bad thing is I am going to have to wait until tomorrow to cook something.  My other half has lined up a babysitter for the night and wants to go out.  That only happens about once a year so I guess I have to take her out.  I think I will just go with the chicken tomorrow.  It is chicken breasts with no skin.  The wind is blowing but I have the smoker on the south side of the house, out of the wind.  I could not find the Maverick in town.  I think I might have to order one of the internet.  I will post my results and thanks for the tips.

Gizmo

Sagemt,

Wow, your wife must be very caring to hire a babysitter for your bradley on its first day home, not wanting to leave it there all alone.  It must have been really hard for you to leave the house for the first time as it is always hard leaving the first time.  We are with you in strenght.  Good luck and let us know how your new arrival works out.   ;D  ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

:)  :D  :D Now i understand  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)