Bear Hide Help. Taxadermists?

Started by headgames, May 01, 2007, 05:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headgames

Got my bear hide back from a friend today that tans his own hides ....... what I was wondering now that is is tanned and all dry and kinda hard ........... is there a way to rewet it and stretch it some??   and may be soften it up ??? ................. Thanks ............. Kind of asking here instead of him .. Don't want him to think I was a bit dissappointed..........ok  i am . lol ..........  want to get is  a little help not looking for perfection here just a little stretched and flat to hang on the wall with a lot of other critters
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

dewy

Im not a taxidermist but if you already have it tanned Im not sure re-wetting its a good idea, might screw up the tanning and cause you some problems with losing hair and stuff.When I used to trap we stretched everything before it was dried.

NePaSmoKer

Rub some mink oil on the fat side. its like a paste but make sure its mink

nepas

dewy

Only thing I could find on it was here.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/TanningArticles/05/a/05905A255D.html

Looks like you could try a mix of tanning oil and water to rehydrate the hide then try stretching it using a sheet of plywood or two.Carefull if you try working it with a knife though, the hide will get thinner the more its stretched and you could wind up with a hole if your knife slips :o

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: dewy on May 02, 2007, 05:33:23 AM
Only thing I could find on it was here.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/TanningArticles/05/a/05905A255D.html

Looks like you could try a mix of tanning oil and water to rehydrate the hide then try stretching it using a sheet of plywood or two.Carefull if you try working it with a knife though, the hide will get thinner the more its stretched and you could wind up with a hole if your knife slips :o

When i did my coyote pelts, racoon & rabbits i used the mink oil. I guess the water & tanning solution would work well too  ;D

Sorry coyote buddy ↑, those were my younger days in Calif shooting them critters off my parents farm

nepasĀ®

headgames

thanks guys ...  that link helps alot ... will update you when I get time to fuss with it .... too busy now with work ........ planting new beds and watching frost most the nights

dewy

Probably right about the mink oil, i was just looking for links, you can find anything on google ;D

coyote

OK Nepas...............I'll accept that  ;D

MRH

headgames,

Do you know what kind of tan he used on it?  I would imagine you could rehydrate it, and work the heck out of it as it dries. Like others said the mink oil would probably help. My daughter has been doing braintan on some deer hides a 4-H project so I am getting a better feel for this tanning stuff (By no means a expert!!!)  The hides she has done so far a very soft just about like a piece of fleece ;D But the trick is to get some sort of a oil (She used egg yolks instead of brains)worked into the hide before it is dry and work it as it dries, until it is completely dry, keeping the fibers of the hide from sticking back together making it stiff.  I have done a fox and coyote (fur on ) that turned out really well using a kit, it is a lot of work.  Another place you could go for advice is www.braintan.com lots of knowledgable people there on tanning etc.

Mark

headgames

I BELIEVE IT WAS A           SALT-ALUM TAN . found a quite informitive web site at the university of new mexico... but need a weekend to play with it and a little elbow grease . lol  thanks for  all the direction .

whitetailfan

Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

headgames

LMAO.......................  GOOD ONE .................. :D