Running up Post count... Vote Closes March 19 2010

Started by icerat4, May 02, 2007, 03:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

a n s...

i will tell the beast you are glad she has 2 10 gallon jugs...

gizz...

o no... not me... she puked for days though...

monday is our last day in the socal... we will have to meet up next fall...

lq...

i met the sparkler in roswell new mexico on july 7 1947...

since then our paths have crossed over the years at such places as barry goldwater az... china lake ca... tonapa nv... wright patterson oh... nellis nv... edwards ca... white sands nm... and such places...

i saw an ad for a bbq magnifying glass in unpopular science magazine... it claimed it could cook a whole pig in mico seconds with just a little sunlight even on a cloudy day...

i called the phone number in the ad and it was the sparkler... i told him he should spend some money on a bbq machine that left the beast in pieces larger than 50 microns... thats when he scored a bradley... 

people do lots of drinking and fornicating in death valley... you and bob would fit right in...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Gizmo

It was nice meeting up with you this season.  Look forward to the return visit.  Half to get them aliens to give you a break once in a while when you are out of So Cal and beam you over for a Que and Brew.  Easy trails to you and the mickster.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

O...you are a trip dude...seriously...I think I speak for all of us in So Cal...we will miss you both...haven't known you very long but you are a total crack up!! Get back out here as soon as you both can...or...you could always head out to the desert on your way outta town?

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: owrstrich on March 24, 2008, 10:22:03 PM
lq...

i met the sparkler in roswell new mexico on july 7 1947...

Memory is failing me. I thought it was the Trinity Site, New Mexico, July 16, 1945. Have to jump in the way-back machine and check...   :D

owrstrich

riding the san gabriel mountains solo...

lots o sport bikers... foggy...

2 went down... low sided them...

1 went over the cliff...

all 3 were ok... wearing full racing leathers...

got to be careful... sometimes these hooligans have crossed the double yellow and are in my lane... especially on blind curves...

owrstrich

Arcs_n_Sparks

O,

Great stuff. Gotta love the guy with the lightning attractors on his helmet. A guy after my own kilovolt antics...   :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

freaky... that apparent rider is not on the origional photo but it is on the photo i posted... 

i counted the bikes and the riders in origional photo and they are equal...

on the photo i posted there is 1 extra... its gotta be the apparent rider with the rods sticking out his headgear...

im thinking he maybe the rider of the spheres...

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/03/28/the-mysterious-case-of-two-spheres-falling-to-earth-in-australia-and-brazil/

The Mysterious Case of Two Spheres Falling to Earth in Australia and Brazil

Written by Ian O'Neill

Mysterious spheres falling from space in Australia and Brazil (credit: Reuters/Daniel Drehmer at Second Wave)
On the March 24th, a story hit the web from Brazil asking for help identifying a mysterious-looking sphere found in farmland. The black, shiny object appeared to be wrapped in fibrous material and it was hot to the touch. Immediately thoughts of extra-terrestrial origin came to mind...

Today, several news sources covered the discovery of a mysterious spherical object found in the Australian outback last year. The farmer who made the discovery has only just started to make enquiries into what the object actually is.

So are the two objects connected in some way? Are they indeed from outer space?

The answer is "yes", and "yes". But don't go getting too excited, they're not bits from a broken alien spacecraft.

The orb in Brazilian farmland (credit: Daniel Drehmer)

Before their origins are explained, a bit of background: The first story to be released was from Brazil on Monday. Just a small story on Daniel Drehmer's blog, asking "a space geek from Digg" (Digg.com being the social bookmarking site) for help to identify this strange object found by SebastiĆ£o Marques da Costa who described the orb as being hot to the touch. Either it has been heated by the Sun, or it had just crashed to Earth. On seeing the object, it does make for good science fiction material. It's a very strange looking thing, one meter in diameter, contrasting with the green countryside.

A COPV containing helium on board the Shuttle (credit: NASA)

I was so intrigued by the story, I kept an eye on the blog. The following day, the Second Wave reported that an answer had been found. Obviously the geeks on Digg had been paying attention and identified the object as a Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessel (or COPV). Put very basically, it's a high pressure container for inert gases. The space shuttle carries COPVs and it seems likely that these containers will be used for a variety of space missions. They are built with a carbon fibre or Kevlar overcoat to provide reinforcement against the vast pressure gradient between the inside and outside of the container.

If the COPVs are so reinforced, it seems reasonable that they may survive re-entry through the Earth's atmosphere.

The Australian mystery orb (credit: Reuters)

So what about our Australian farmer? Looking at the picture, the strange object in the Australian outback has some striking similarities to the Brazilian orb (only a lot more damaged).

Today many news sites picked up on the Australian find (well, last year's find), and call me suspicious, but the timing couldn't be better. The Australian farmer, James Stirton, who found the object made the surprising statement to the Reuters news agency:

i know... j...

icerat4

Hi guys i started smoking again i ran out of stuff.Plus i need 1 post count.HAPPY SMOKING

Just another weekend with the smoker...

owrstrich

2 up riding the sierra foothills out of tulare ca... about 6 hours and 200 miles...

there be where we be headed... but lots o snow up there so the roads are closed...

one of our favorite donkeys... hes at prosperity and tulare county road 152...aints seen him since september... hes gotts a buddy now...

ca 198...

the spring wild flowers are in full bloom...

heres one of those jc penny mail order houses... im sure the geezers remember them...

the bridge before sequoia national park... we turned around and back tracked to lemon cove...

heading south from lemon cove... into the foothills to springville...

the valley we just crossed... didnt see another person along this 40 mile stretch...  it was so quite it was spooky...

turkeys everywhere... stopped to snap this tom...

through the valley... over the hills... thru the valley and there be springville...

j o

Consiglieri

Beautiful scenery, O.

What happened to the rider/bike half way down the mountain?
Consiglieri

owrstrich

well now... we made it 1/2 way up the mountain before we saw the road closed signs and turned around...

so do you mean 1/2 way down the mountain or 1/2 way down the mountain from where we turned around... the latter would be 3/4 way down the mountain or 1/4 way up the mountain...

so in your own words... whats the he11 is yous sayings...

johnny

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Consiglieri

Quote from: owrstrich on April 06, 2008, 09:34:54 AM
well now... we made it 1/2 way up the mountain before we saw the road closed signs and turned around...

so do you mean 1/2 way down the mountain or 1/2 way down the mountain from where we turned around... the latter would be 3/4 way down the mountain or 1/4 way up the mountain...

so in your own words... whats the he11 is yous sayings...

johnny

;D

I was talking about the picture you posted with the bike off the road, waaaay down the hill. 
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

:D  :D  :D Consiglieri, we got our state tax return back today.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Consiglieri

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on April 08, 2008, 02:39:33 PM
:D  :D  :D Consiglieri, we got our state tax return back today.

I'm hoping you mean you received your refund check.  Otherwise, sounds like your day is going the way my day is going.  I'm really looking forward to quitting time today.  When the clock hit's that final minute today, I'll be like Fred Flinstone sliding down the dinasour's back to get out of here. 
Consiglieri