Wine Barrel Smoker

Started by RB, May 04, 2007, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveA

I hope I know what I'm doing.  I've uploaded some photographs of my barrel smoker to photobucket, now let's see if I can get the 'links' right and post them here:

Well that worked kind of - I did include some captions with the photos on photobucket but they haven't transferred here. maybe they're not supposed to.  If anyone wants to know what the photos represent in terms of modifications to the prototype I'll explain by a further 'post'.
Be green - reclaim usable products!!

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

DaveA that is to cool for words...Time for me to find a barrel, if you could give us some specs that would be awesome!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

deb415611

Wow,  that's really cool. 

Gizmo

Very nice and Very stylish.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

DaveA

Good Morning from the UK! 

Didn't know I'd stir up so much interest with my whisky barrel smoker, just seemed a good idea at the time.  I bet there are plenty of outlets in the 'States' for bourbon and/or wine barrels, but if anyone is interested in doing a project this company might be a good starting point - http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/vintage-barrels.html

The whisky barrels I use come from distilleries in Scotland, but started life in Kentucky storing bourbon then France and/or Portugal for wine/port storing before going to Scotland for a decade or so maturing the 'Water of Life'.  Years of all that lovely liquid seeping into the oak imparts a great aroma into whatever you happen to be smoking.  This gradually diminishes over time but the early 'smokes' are great.

I'd better start writing-up a 'spec' on how to build one of these.  I guess the best way is for me to produce it as an Adobe PDF, so if anyone wants a copy of the file, email me and I'll forward it one in a few days.  There's nothing too complicated, but once you've made something you can always see an easier way of doing it next time.

Off to start writing now!!

FLBentRider

That is a very cool smoker!

Is it just for "hangable" stuff or are there racks ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DaveA

Hi FLBentRider!

No it has racks too.  Here's a pic

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Kansan

Dave A that is very nice and looks well crafted  ;D What a unique approach to a smoker.   ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum.

Nice setup. Thanks for contributing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Super smoker there Dave. Thanks for taking the time and sharing the pics with us.

Oldman

DaveA,

If you cannot find a hosting service for your images send them to me: r a  y   e  @   r   m in  o r .  c  o m  (no spaces) and I will host them for you.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

NePaSmoKer

Thats way cool.
And welcome to the forum

nepas