Wine Barrel Smoker

Started by RB, May 04, 2007, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums, just signed up and I have a question...

I am planning on using a Bradley generator in a converted wine barrel as a smoker. I am not concerned about fire danger as oak has an ignition point of 525*F, unless of course there is a flame up from grease drips but I doubt that will happen. My question is, can the Bradley generator handle the volume of the barrel? It's 60 gal or 8 cubic ft...will it get it to 160 or so? I would quess the more meat I have in it the better it will work. What do you all think?

Cheers, Ron

Tiny Tim

You're going to need another heat source.   The smoke generator only burns the pucks, it will produce plenty of smoke for you, but it won't create enough heat to raise your "box" temp more than 30-40 degrees, if even that much in that big of an area.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find a way to do what you want to for smoking.

Wildcat

Welcome here RB!  I tend to agree with TT on the heat source.  I will defer to the more knowledgeable folks on here for the smoke volume, but my guess would be that you will have enough smoke.  If not, you can always run another generator.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

As stated above, you will need another heat source. In a well insulated Bradley, with only the generator as a heat source and only 6 pounds of sausage, I can hit 140°F sometimes 180F°. In a large wood barrel filled with meat you won't get much heat.

As far as for smoke volume, if vented correctly the generator can easily handle that capacity.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Welcome RB;
Like they said you will need an additional controlled heat source. A friend of mine made a barrel smoker also and used a two burner hot plate from Walmart hooked to a  thermostat and it worked just fine. The generator will handle the smoke easily on that size area. Sounds like a fun project. Enjoy and keep us posted. Please feel free to ask questions. There is alot of good help on this forum. :)

cingnut

I would like to see pictures when you're finished!  Where would someone get an old wine barrel?  I have a few wineries near my home, but I would think these things are incredibly expensive, even used!

RB

cingnut,

Well, it depends where you live. If there are wine makers in you area barrel prices are usually pretty low, $30 or so for a whole barrel where I live.

West Coast Kansan

I read some where (I think on the bradley site) the generators will provide smoke for 50 cu ft. Plently of smoke but as others say not a heat source. Good Luck with smoker! 8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

smokin stu

Here in the Niagara Peninsula, they re-use the barrels for only so long and then they sell them off.  Not sure how much, but I think its fairly cheap.  Mainly American oak.

DaveA

:) I've just joined the forum from over the 'pond' (England) and find the info very helpful.  I've been smoking for just over a year and although I don't have a Bradley Smoker as such, I have made my own from an old whisky barrel and a Bradley smoke generator.  Still making some refinements, like a small electric extractor to help smoke circulation.

Currently I've done Kippers - very nice and very easy.  Smoked Scottish Salmon using the Bradley Cures (demerara), Trout, Mackerel and Bacon.  Must say they've all turned out excellent, maybe I've been lucky, but I did do a load of reading before making my first step.

I've noticed on the Forum that someone was asking about making a smoker from a reclaimed wine barrel (a while ago now).  If anyone's interested in how I made mine just email me.

Like the 'site' - I'll be back!
Be green - reclaim usable products!!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  DaveA!

Sounds like you got it down...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome DaveA

Sounds like your smokin away, I'd sure like to see a pic of your setup!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I would like to see some photo's as well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

DaveA

DaveA signing in again.  Thanks for your comments.  Just had a very nice email from RC  aka 'Kummok'.  Rather a long way to Alaska from the UK, but I'm working on it.

I'll check out how to post photos to the forum.

Check back in a couple of days!!

DaveA

DaveA signing in again.  Thanks for your comments.  Just had a very nice email from RC  aka 'Kummok'.  Rather a long way to Alaska from the UK, but I'm working on it.

I'll check out how to post photos to the forum.

Check back in a couple of days!!