Horse Radish Cole-Slaw

Started by MallardWacker, September 20, 2004, 09:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

A couple of years ago I had someone me take to some rib house in the Chicago area(I think there were several in the area).  It was a type of place where they ran around and put plastic (lobster type) bibs on you.  Then you watch those norther folks try and eat them with a fork & knife.  For a salad they offered you cole slow or a regular salad.  Went for the slaw, heavens-best I ever taisted(I know everyone says things like that)but however it was so different I really enjoyed it.  Gave you a scoop, like a big softball or something.  The kick was horse raddish and a bit sweet.  Does anyone have a recipe of that kind of slaw, does anyone know of the rib houses name or have "clone"of their recipe????

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

I don't have the cole slaw recipe, but I do have two horseradish dressing recipes. I have tried them both, and liked both of them. I guess you could add sugar or other sweetener, and sweeten to taste.

Horseradish Vinaigrette
2 T.    Red wine vinegar (I would use cider vinegar if using the dressing for cole slaw)
2 T.    Horseradish, grated fresh
1 T.    Shallots, fine diced
1/4 C.  Oil, olive, extra virgin (I would use canola if using the dressing for cole slaw)
       Salt, to taste
       Pepper, to taste

Apple Horseradish Cream
1/4 C.    Cream Heavy
1/4 C.    Sour Cream
1/4 C.    Ganny Smith Apple, grated
1 1/2 T.  Horseradish, grated (prepared horseradish can be substituted
1/4 tsp.  Salt

Whip the heavy cream to a medium peak. Fold in the remaining ingredients. Though this is a sauce, I have added apple juice to turn it into a dressing. Granny Smith apple is preferred, because they are less likely to oxidize.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

MW,

Was it Bub City(no relation[;)]), north side, off Clybourne? If so, you're SOL, they went outta biz a few years ago. Damn shame, that was one of my favorites.

If you're ever in Indy, sounds like you should pay a visit to St. Elmo's & get the cocktail shrimp. It'll open up your sinuses better than the jaws of life. Walk down the street to Ruth's Chris for your steak though.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Kirk,

Of all my favorite <font color="red"><b>"HEAT"</b></font id="red"> I love to eat, it has to be horse radish.  It seems you can enjoy the flavor of what ever it is in and have the heat and flavor of the radish with it.  Plus it won't leave you looking for some adult beverage to cool you down five minutes after you eat it, the heat comes then it goes.   You are right, NOTHING clears the sinus better.  RUTH CHRIS: you got my number.  In my former life, I was privey to go to quite few nice places to eat.  When they mentioned RUTH CHRIS, I never turned it down.  They have these fried potatoes, their name for them exscapes me now, I know the steak was great but those spuds were something to write home about.  <font color="blue">New York</font id="blue">-<font color="red">MEDIUM RARE</font id="red">  -AND SOME SALT, please-no steak sause.  How they got a piece of meat to taste so good with no charcoal is beyond my ability.

Oh, about Bub City, I don't think it was them.  Hay, whem you can talk more about the slaw than the ribs, something might be wrong-don't even remember what they tasted like.

HS,

I'm printing those out, those sound really good.  Many thanks.  I think a little slenda might do the trick.  Got keep that low carb thing going..

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Smokin Joe

We have a recipe for seasoned slaw on our recipe forum page:

//www.carolinesrub.com/Forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=10

Doesn't specify as horseradish slaw, but uses 1/2 cup of the stuff to provide a nice kick.  I received this from a friend of mine sometime ago, but just posted it this morning...

Let us know what you think if you do happen to try it.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

BigRed

Fellow Smokers!

Chez is so right about St. Elmo's in down town Indy! When I go there I get two of the shrimp cocktails and a salad for dinner. IT is by far the best horseradish cocktail sauce I have ever had. It opens all your sinuses.I have tried to duplicate it but there is a secret something missing. Chez if you know their recipt PLEASE share it!!

PS - Their steaks are good but too expensive. RUTH CHRIS down the block has better less expensive steak and a great salad wedge with blue cheese and anchovies.

BigRED

MallardWacker

Yow-zaa, MORE expesive than Ruth Chris. OUCH!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Smokin Joe

I love going to Ruth Chris...used to eat there regularly when I lived in Houston.

If you are ever in Canada, I strongly recommend you try Hy's Steakhouse.  Very similar to Ruth Chris, but more bang for your buck...

They actually include your sides - baked potato, vegetables, etc. for about the same price as Ruth Chris.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />How they got a piece of meat to taste so good with no charcoal is beyond my ability.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
First, good quality meat. Then three more words: Butta, butta, butta![:p]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

I stopped buying hydrogenated oil about 5 years ago, it's only butter now. (buy four pounds at a time at Sam,s and freeze it)  Hay same amount of fat and tastes ALOT better....  Butter is one of those things that make a lot of things taste better.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

The way I see it, butter is natural, your body knows how to process it. Margerine is not, and your body doesn't.

If I were eating a pound a week, I might have to revise my thought process, but when I eat it, I want the good stuff.

Same line of thought on movie popcorn. I know that coconut oil stuff is bad for you, but I want extra! Heck, I only go to the theater about twice a year. In the big picture, how bad can that really be?

Kirk

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
<br />Chez if you know their recipt PLEASE share it!!
BigRED
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">From the looks of it, it's 1 pound horseradish & 1 pound cocktail sauce. Mix evenly & serve.[:D]

nsxbill

Smokin Joe &
Habanero Smoker

Thanks for posting up the recipes.  Much appreciated.  The little woman loves horseradish, and one of these days going to try a prime rib roast to surprise her.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome.

I forgot to add - you can adjust the amount of horseradish to what you like. Also what I have learned, if you are grating your own, all horseradish is not created equal. Some roots are stronger than others, so you may want to only use 3/4 of the amount recommended, then taste and add more if needed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Joe

No problem!

...and that is excellent advice from Habanero as well, so I am going to add that to the recipe.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner