• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butt's in the Box

Started by Carter, June 02, 2007, 03:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

Well I'm doing my first Boston Butt today.  I've got a 6lb and change Butt.  I put a mustard slather on it last night with a Modified Armadillo Willy's Rub (seemed a bit salty to me but we'll see how it works in the end).  Note:  I used Guajillo Powder instead of Cayenne.  This is a great powder for "just a hint" of heat.  I'm 99% sure it's what gives Zesty Cheese Doritos that zesty taste (besides the MSG of course).

For the smoke, I'm using a 4 hour, 12 biscuit combo of Hickory, Special Blend, & Maple.  Why?  Because I didn't have Apple, and I didn't want to use Cherry or Mesquite.  They get some bad press around here.

I pulled the pork out of the fridge at 4:30 am and I put it on the BS at 5:30.  By the time, I got it in there, the temp had dropped to 180F.  By 5:50 when the first biscuit hit the element, it was back to 215 and climbing.

Thanks for the tip about opening the vents.  It would be nice if the instruction manual would tell you these things.  I've got about 6 hours of smoke time logged on my brand new BS with the vents almost completely closed.  Hopefully I haven't gummed up my feeder.  If I could give some feedback to Bradley, give us beginners a little something more to work with.

I'm going to use a tomato based sauce tonight for serving.  I've got lots of extra Bour B Q Sauce from the Smoke N Spice Cookbook.  If anyone thinks that's a bad idea, let me know.

I'll keep you posted.  Anybody else smoking today?

Carter

3rensho

Hi Carter,

I did a butt about that size yesterday and pulled it last night.  It's always hard for me to wait for it to go thru the 168 degree plateau.  This morning I cold smoked two salmon fillets and am going to give them 24 hrs in the fridge to mature before chowing down.  Also made three pounds of breakfast sausage (non-smoked).  Let us know how yours comes out.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Carter

Hi Tom,

I haven't tried Hot or cold Smoked Salmon yet.  It's on my list.

I do have a question though for those who know.

What do people do with the last 2-3 pucks, when the feeder stops feeding them?  Do you do it manually or just go in and pull them out?

Again, no help in the manual here.

Carter

tsquared

My last 2  are usually bubba pucks (metal) with the very last (3rd) being wood. I leave them in til the smoke is finished and then pull them out as I'm cleaning out the smoker.
T2

hillbillysmoker

I use three bubba pucks to follow my wood pucks.  Then I just let them stay until cleaning the smoker and pull them out and clean them. The use of three allows me to just continue cooking while using the puck burner to assist in maintaining cabinet temperature.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Carter

Great advice.  Thanks.

How do I find these Bubba Pucks?  I take it they're from Chez Bubba which I understand is closing down.

Tiny Tim

I also use the three bubba pucks, but I had a local machine shop make them for me.  Cost was the same as going through Bubba, but this was the only way I could pay for them at the time.  Before I got 'em made, I would reach in (with a gloved hand, of course) and push the pucks by hand.

Wildcat

Chez is going out of business, but he is still getting rid of inventory.  Give him a call and see.  I ordered some wood the other day.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Carter

Since I have people's attention, by Butt is approaching 9 hours at 2:30 Eastern.  I'm going to open up the BS and check temperature at that point.  What am I looking for.  A lot of books call for a 195 to 210 temperature as ideal for pulling.  I cooked a 14 pound shoulder on a gas BBQ last year (indirect) and achieved 195 and it did pull well and everyone I cooked for enjoyed it.

Everything I read here calls for 165 to 170 degrees.

I'm a bit confused.  Anybody care to shed some light.

Thanks, oh and by the way, I love this site.  Couldn't ask for more helpful people.

Carter

Wildcat

195 for pulling IMO, lower for slicing.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Carter

Thanks Wildcat.  You guys are top shelf.  I don't know what the weather's like where you're at, but I hope it's as nice as it is here in Southern Ontario.  Should be great for our family gathering.

Carter

Habanero Smoker

The internal temperature also depends on how you smoke/cook it. I pull my pork at 175°F, because I've learned if you smoke at 200°F or less, you prolong the time you keep the internal temperature over 165°F and below 175°F. It's not only the final internal temperature, but how long the internal temperature has been at and above 165°F is also a factor. Overall, the total cooking time rather you smoke at 200°F and pull at 175°F; or 225°F or higher and pull at 190°F or higher is about the same.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

Thanks for all the help guys.  6lbs took 9 hours to get to 190 degrees.  I pulled it out, FTC'd it for two hours, pulled it, heated up my BBQ sauce and gave it out to the masses with Baked Beans, Cold Slaw, and Corn Muffins.

The verdict:  Let's just say only the leanest of appetites didn't go for seconds.

BS worked like a charm, and all the info on this forum could not have been more useful.  Thanks for all the info and help along the way.

I'm away for a couple of weeks on holiday, but when I return it's going to be Hot Smoked Salmon time.

Can't wait.

Neither can my Neighbours.

Carter

Arcs_n_Sparks

Carter,

Glad everything turned out well. Need to get some pics next time; but I understand holding a camera is not the same as holding pulled pork in your hand.   8)

Arcs_n_Sparks