• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

chuck steak

Started by hillbillysmoker, June 03, 2007, 12:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillysmoker

This weekend's project was two chuck steaks rubbed with honey mustard and Legg's seasoning.  Cabinet temp of 225 to internal of 190. FTC for 2 hours. It made some great pulled beef.

May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

coyote

They look Mt State good Hillbilly! :)

MWS

I love pulled beef in a bun with lotsa q sauce.  :P
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

CLAREGO

anybody know where to get a whole chuck roll ??? or is there another name for it whats the fat content?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TheCLAREGO on June 05, 2007, 05:30:03 PM
anybody know where to get a whole chuck roll ??? or is there another name for it whats the fat content?

This article may help.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chuckroll.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO

thanks anyone know if sams carries it ?

Habanero Smoker

Next time you are at Sam's Club ask the meat cutters behind the counter. I know that the Sam's I go to never has butts on display. I alway have to ask for them, and they bring it out to me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chuck steak

Quote from: TheCLAREGO on June 05, 2007, 05:30:03 PM
Visit your local grocery store, the best price will be found at an independant store rather than a chain type store. If you buy it whole in the cryovac you should get a very good price. but keep in mind when that piece is broken down (cut) for retail it fetches big dollar sales. just a footnote: most whole sellers cannot sell to the public.Chuck roll is the correct name, the whole piece weights about 45 lbs others go as high as 60lbs, and select grade will be cheaper than choice, as I'm sure you know. just to let ya know, I'm a butcher by trade.Hope this helps friend

CLAREGO

thanks went to sams got a piece for 2.16 a pound sound right. you said an independent store would sell it cheeper in the whole?

chuck steak

Quote from: TheCLAREGO on June 15, 2007, 03:52:06 AM
thanks went to sams got a piece for 2.16 a pound sound right. you said an independent store would sell it cheeper in the whole?
yes the whole chuck roll (neck -off) was what I was refering to. As to yur question what did you get for 2.16 a lb? If you got "choice Chuck at 2.16 you got a whale of a price. Sams is "choice beef" right?
The independent I work for sells select chuck roast for 2.39 and chuck steak for 2.69 and thats a deal for sure. From time to time when it's on special it sells for 1.99. Can't recall the topic starter's name but that was the question. Chuck Roll (neck off)

CLAREGO

yeah it was an 18lb chuck roll for 2.16 a pound i cut it up(n little roasts) and made a 9lb piece of it to smoke tommrow

CLAREGO

not sure if its choice thats a good question ???

chuck steak

if it came from Sams good chance it is. I haven't bought meat from sams in a couple years. Last time I did all they sold was "choice beef". Some don't like it cause of high fat content in "choice beef". Are you gonna smoke it?