Favorite vendors

Started by standles, June 04, 2007, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standles

Hello everyone:

My daughter decided to let me pick my father's day present this year.   I decided on a 4 rack BDS to extend my dubious culinary credentials.

I ended up putting the cart before the horse and invited a couple of friends over this Sat to eat.   All the time I assumed with Bass Pro being a distributer and 2 miles down the road  I could pick it up today no problem.

PROBLEM !!!!    No one in a 100 mile radius has one in stock.  Bass Pro did say I could come in a do a TURBO ORDER.  OF course thier definition of TURBO is 2-3 weeks shipping ???

I saw an old post about chezbubba but saw they are going/out of business.

So in short...   Other than AMAZON what vendors do you folks like to use?   I can order tommorrow and pay for 3 day to get it here in time.   

Thanks alot for any help in locating one and pucks that can ship fast.

If it matters I am located in the Destin Florida area.

Steven

okiesmoker

I just ordered one from chez bubba his prices are great while his supply lasts give him a call he can probably help you out

cingnut

Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Sears (internet only)....

standles

Well I did go ahead and call Chez Bubba to see if they had anything left.   I was worried after I saw where the bubba pucks had sold out.   Got ahold of Ann on the phone and she was wonderful to talk to and deal with.   With the 20% off instock stuff deal I was able to get a 6rack digital for the same investment as the 4 rack.   It even came with a 60 asstd pack of pucks.

So....   I know have a 6 rack digital, 60 asst pucks, 48 apple, 48 hicory, 48 mesquite, digital probe thermometer and cover inbound for delivery Thru or Friday.   Whooo Whoooooooooo.

Now to my first smoke.   I think I am going to try to go with a couple of butts and a loin or two.    After I get some exp under my belt I am going to try and produce some applewood smoked bacon (one of the big reasons I bought it).

In closing I have to say after talking to Ann and my one dealing with her I am sorry I am getting in this game a little late to know chez bubba better.   Her and her husbands reasons for stopping were sound and I can't fault them for that but it is always a bummer to see someone with that level of customer orientation leaving.

Talk to you all some more later.

Steven

Kummok

Quote from: standles on June 05, 2007, 10:50:04 AM
.....In closing I have to say after talking to Ann and my one dealing with her I am sorry I am getting in this game a little late to know chez bubba better.   Her and her husbands reasons for stopping were sound and I can't fault them for that but it is always a bummer to see someone with that level of customer orientation leaving......

That's the COOL thing about this stage in the CB legend, Steven.....you'll likely get to "know" them a lot better now that they'll be free'd up a bit to be on the forum more often!! Kirk always adds a spice to the forum that goes beyond just smoking!!  ;)

Consiglieri

I bought mine on ebay, not knowing of Chezbubba at the time.  Looks like the vendor I dealt with isn't stocking machines, but others (with high feedback ratings) are.
Consiglieri

IKnowWood

standles

I do Maple and Hickory smoked bacon all the time.  I cool/cold smoke thick cut cured bacon slices (I go easy route and just buy slab of commercial bacon at store) for 1 or 2 hours.  Keep temps under 100 degrees so it does not cook the bacon.

Then when ready just fry / cook bacon as normal.  Aroma while cooking is amazing and taste is real nice.

I do not think I have tried Apple.  But the Maple is my fav.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

standles

Thanks for the pointers on the bacon.

The commercial slabs you buy are cured only?  or do they have the hickory etc as well?

That might be easier for my first few tries until I am ready to go the distance and cure belly myself.

The applewood bacon is my fav store bought.   I was hoping that my homemade variant would be even better. :)

Steven

IKnowWood

I have not yet gone as far as making my own bacon (which you can learn more http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23) but cheater bacon.

I get a sliced slab that does not list hickory or smoke.  I prefer just cured thick cut.  Or get it from the Butcher.  Some times its only lightly smoked.  Most times these commercial brands only have been in the smoke hour for an hour or less.  Flavor is not there.

I then take them out of the package, laying slices so hopefully both wide sides are exposed to smoke over the racks.  Then in the smoker.  I do not pre-heat the smoker, I want it as cold as possible but the puck plate hot enough to smolder the puck.  Most times I add ice to the smoker in the water pan and even an additional pan of Ice in the smoker.  To try to maintain some cool temps.  Then puck burner heat only.

If I have time I will pull out the Smoke generator and use the off-set introduction of smoke method.  That way is much better to control temps to stay low.  But If ambients are low enough, I just go easy.

My preference is 2 hours (6 pucks) of Maple.

Note, it works even better if you let them sit in a bag together.  The flavor intensifys.  I vacuseal them together.  Serving sizes.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Wildcat

Kirk and Ann - you guys are one of a kind.  Class to the end.  By the way, my order arrived yesterday.  Thanks.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/