• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Frozen butt too old?

Started by whitetailfan, June 07, 2007, 10:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

I'm just checking over my butt supply for a job next weekend.  I haven't confirmed, but I'm pretty sure I have half a shoulder from Nov/05 that did not make the smoker last summer, and we have a new pig from Nov/06.

After inspection for freezer burn, can anyone think of a reason not to use up the 2005 butt should it look healthy?
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

icerat4

Spend the 10 bucks or so and get new fresh one .Just my 2 cents.Why take a chance.And waste the pucks and the beers ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Tiny Tim

Put it in there along with a good one.  Best of both worlds, you don't waste anything if it's good, only use X pucks, and get to prolong the monitoring beers.

HCT

If it was in the Food Saver bags or any kind of vacuum pack I'd say go for it but... meat still detiorates in the freezer. I had a bunch of eye rounds from '05 that I intended to use for jerky before I got sick and they were vacuum packed. They still accumulated ice in the bags and I just wouldn't take the chance. The labs ate like fat rats for a few weeks, I cooked it, trimmed the outer parts off. Tasted alright but still wouldn't make a meal of it. Although I had some pork belly that I'm curing now for bacon. I figure the fat content kept it okay. Will know by the end of the weekend.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

If there is not freezer burn, and there are not other signs of deterioration; I don't see any reason not to.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Hey DID SOMEONE SAY RAT.... 8) 8)

Quote from: HCT on June 07, 2007, 01:40:39 PM
If it was in the Food Saver bags or any kind of vacuum pack I'd say go for it but... meat still detiorates in the freezer. I had a bunch of eye rounds from '05 that I intended to use for jerky before I got sick and they were vacuum packed. They still accumulated ice in the bags and I just wouldn't take the chance. The labs ate like fat rats for a few weeks, I cooked it, trimmed the outer parts off. Tasted alright but still wouldn't make a meal of it. Although I had some pork belly that I'm curing now for bacon. I figure the fat content kept it okay. Will know by the end of the weekend.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 07, 2007, 02:10:26 PM
If there is not freezer burn, and there are not other signs of deterioration; I don't see any reason not to.

Same here.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smudge

My vacuum pack bags sometimes fail and allow air to enter, causing the white ice to form on the outside of the meat. However, it has never caused the freezer burn taste. Air movement is required for that, and the vac bags, though compromised, still greatly inhibit air flow.

Freezer paper is another matter. Even the best wrapped meat will have problems in allowing some air circlation. But freezer burn can be identified on sight and the affected areas trimmed.

Put me in the "use it" camp.

whitetailfan

I forgot I started this thread.
I did the butts with no issues at all.
There was only one tiny area on both roasts that looked 'off' and I trimmed it out.
A lot of never-had-befores were at my party, and the pulled pork was a HUGE hit.

Thanks for the responses...
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Stickbowcrafter

Yep, defrost before you toss  ;D If it looks and smells alright, SMOKE IT!!!

-Brian