Newbie - Just got my new Digital 4 shelf BS

Started by BBQ Bart, June 08, 2007, 12:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQ Bart

Since my wife does all the cooking in my house, when I announced that I would cook if I could purchase a smoker, I got no complaints.
So my smoker came this week, and I'm just setting it up. I need to do the seasoning first, to get it ready for a smoke tomorrow morning.
I have absolutely no experience in cooking (but can do lots of other stuff, including building furniture). I'll be looking to the good folks on this forum for all the help I can get.

My first attempt will be to smoke up some baby back ribs. So, here comes my first set of questions:

1) How do you remove the membrane on ribs?

2) I am interested in using a dry rub. Any suggestions on what to use that I can make myself (what to get started this weekend)

3) Any suggestion for a sauce to put on for the last hour of cooking. I saw some posts about a sauce recommended by the "iceman"(sp)?
My favorite sauces tend to be a combo of sweet and spicy, if that helps

4) What's your favorite type of wood to use in the smoker for baby backs?

If there are some already published step by step instructions on how to do this already posted, please do send me a link. I really know nothing about cooking.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

BBQ Bart

icerat4

1.Use a knife and turn rib over where ya see the bone.Then dig the knife just under the skin and pull up.Use a napkin or dry towel to help pull it off .Its slippery   
Quote from: hillbillysmoker on June 08, 2007, 11:10:19 AM
For your concern about removing the membrane.  This is a good video showing the process.  I hope it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks-J1pJ7xQ

2. how many pounds do ya smoke.Also try this next time.After 4-5 hours of smoke take the ribs out of the smoker place in a foil pan.Then spritz with a lil apple juice on top and in the botton of the tray.Then foil the tray and place in an oven at 190 for 3-4 hours that will get ya fall off the bone ribbies.Remember weight has alot to do with the finished product keep that in mind always.Here are a few pics to show how.

SEE i do at least 14-20 pounds at a time .14-16 average those ya see in the pics are huge baby backs.In any case 14 pounds of ribs 4-5 hours smoke at 190-205 temps .then into the foil pan and in the oven at 190-195 for the rest of the time which could be another 3-4-5 hours dependens on your oven.I have a convection oven very nice and even heat so.Dont be afraid to check after the 3 hour time things should be melting down by then.Hope this helps out.Let me know how ya do next time.See i feel when ya took them out and ftc them there wasnt enough heat aka steam to keep the meat magic happening so the ftc didnt do very well .Thats why i do the foil pan with foil lid and in oven,this insures a great fall off the bone deal.Even when done with that you still would be able to toss them on a grill if so desired.Ive never done it but its not going to hurt.So there ya have it.

3. i use alder.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

BBQ Bart

Thanks Icerat - The video was just the thing.

I'm gonna smoke around 5 lbs of ribs.

What do you use for a rub?

What do you use for a sauce?

Thanks very much!!!!  ;D

BBQ Bart

icerat4

I use this guys stuff.It pretty much sims the rest of what folks use as far as spices.And as sauce its Sweet baby rays.Or iceman has a nice sauce pm him to buy some.But baby rays is nice.Follow my notes and ya should have a winner on your hand.Ask around lots of folks here have used this way and have had great results.Hope all this helps if ya need some more help just ask.More folks will chime in but it should be about the same guidelines.Just remember low and slow. ;D

icerat4

Here is my weeekend pulled pork deal 

2@7-8 lbs. Boston Butt – bone-in

1 Large Bottle Yellow Mustard

2 Bottles of Grill Mates Pork Rub

1 Bottle of Apple Juice and Spray Bottle

1 Box of Tin Foil

1 Box of Cling Wrap

Internal Temperature Gage

Thursday

1.                 Slather yellow mustard all over Pork Butt

2.                 Coat Butt with Pork rub

3.                 Wrap in Cling Wrap plastic

4.                 Put in fridge over night

Friday at around 4:00p.m.

1.     Remove butt from fridge and remove wrap; coat butt with more Pork Rub

2.     Let butt sit 1-2 hours at room temperature

3.     Start the smoker with 4-5 hours of whatever smoke you will use

4.     Place butt on middle shelf

5.     Make sure the slider is all the way to the right on high with top vent open all of the way.  Shut the door and wait until the butt has been smoked for 3 hours

6.     Open the door and check the water in the bowl; fill bowl with water if needed.

7.     When the butt has been smoked for 3 hours, spray apple juice all over the butt. 

8.     when smoke is done at the 4-5 hour mark, put new water in the bowl and then spray the apple juice on the butt again.

9.     Shut door and GO TO BED!!

10. At around 7-8 a.m., check the temperature.  If it is not 195 degrees, do not remove.  Spray some more apple juice on the butt and wait until it reaches 195 degrees

11. When the temp reaches 195 degrees, remove the butt from the smoker and spray again with apple juice.  Then wrap it in foil and place a dishtowel or regular towel around it and place in a cooler or microwave.

12. Wait at least two hours to take the butt out of the foil and remove the fat.

13. READY TO EAT!!   Hope this helps out its a sure deal ive done about 50 or so this way and no problem a sure bet.

Try this next very easy to do .

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

See the link smoker just below this text.  ::) Give it a click and it will take you to the recipe site set up by those who started this space.  Some outstanding ideas and "how to" are there  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Consiglieri

For a quick rub, you can go with something commercial, or you can whip up some of your own.  I like sweet/spicy rubs sometimes and others I like to rub the ribs with crushed garlic, kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and italian seasoning.

After the ribs have been in the box for two to three hours, start mopping or spraying them with apple juice every 45 minutes or hour.  If you're doing a lot, you'll want to rotate rack positions too (top to bottom, and turn the racks 180) after the third hour and thereafter as necessary.

For a quick barbeque glaze that is spicy and sweet, I like this combo:

1/4 C olive oil
splash of white wine
1T crushed garlic
1 small honey bear (I think it's eight oz.)
1 small can of Salsa Herdez (the red one)
squirt of ketchup
fresh black pepper to taste.
dash of crushed red pepper.

Bring all ingredients to a boil and reduce to simmer.  Simmer for at least 20 minutes to reduce liquid and meld flavors. 

Good luck.
Consiglieri

wicz

BBQ Bart,

I took a BBQ class in Feb and they gave us an outline to make rubs.  Here it is.  I have a worksheet too.  I need to type it up and I could email to you if you want.

When making up a rub remember the ratio of 8-3-1-1
Remember that these are Tablespoon measurement.

8 Tablespoons of Sugar (Brown or White)
3 Tablespoons of Salt (Onion salt, Garlic salt, Season Salt, Hickory Salt, Celery salt, or Sea salt)
1 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (If it is to your taste use sparingly because it has a very strong flavor, otherwise replace it with another spice of your choice.
1/2 teaspoon of any spice of your choice. (Onion, Garlic, Dry Mustard, Allspice, Paprika, Rosemary. Ginger, Marjoram, Thyme, Savory, Sage, Lemon or Orange zest, Basil, Clove, Coriander (Ground), Cumin, Parsley, Oregano, Worchester Powder, Anise, Cury Powder, Dill, Fennel, Nutmeg, Tarragon, White Pepper, Vanilla Powder, Celery Seed.)  All spices in bold type may use more then a teaspoon.  All spices with regular type use less than a teaspoon.
1/2 teaspoon of any spice of your choice.

BBQ Bart

Hi - thanks - yes, please send me the notes you have.

BBQ Bart

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"