Fighting the good fight

Started by standles, June 20, 2007, 06:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standles

Well after the first try with tough ribs as a result I decided to try try again so to speak.   This time I decided to try some Butt, shoulder and brisket.

Below is the notes and pictures I took while perfroming this amazing feat.

I started with a 16# butt/shoulder cryovac from Sam's Club
I added a 6# Brisket Flat to go with that.

So the guests of honor are here for all to see.

Started at about 10:30 AM with the trimming and prep.    After a few snips here and there and a pull or two I ended up with this.

Here I decided to do a little something special and I studded each pc of meat with a head of garlic.   Just slit some holes and shoved them puppies in thar.

Of course after that the meat was feeling a little abused so I rubbed em down to soothe their littls souls..

The rub I used was

1/3 Cup Smoked Paprika
3 TBLS Dry Mustard
2 TBLS Onion Powder
2 TBLS garlic Powder
1/2 TBLS Cayenne
1/2 TBLS Chipotle Powder
4 TBLS Brown Sugar
1/8 TBLS Cumin
1TBLS Kosher Salt

The pork was rubbed generously with yellow mustard at first then the rub was generously applied.  Here they are with thier new paint jobs.

At this point it was about noon so I coverd them with foil and let sit on the counter till 6pm and go time.   They were very chilled when I started and I wanted them to come up to room temp before the cooking.....

While waiting on the magic hour I got a surprise visit.   The postman was nice enough to deliver a Priority Package for me.

Talk about Karma and good timing..   I opened the package and what did my wonderous eyes behold but.......

Yep you guessed it.  Just in time to be part of my new experience was a supply of Iceman's Sop'n Sauce and the acourterments.

BTW.. Check is in the mail with a repeat order to boot.   That there is some of the best sauce I have ever tasted.  Guests agreed and I went through 3 jars in this outing.  I am not for sure but I think some folks were pouring it in thier purses to save for later.   
If you have not tried this sauce then you and tried Jack **** !

Well 6pm came and I had the smoker preheated to 260 degrees F.  I also took a tip and added 2 foil covered bricks during the preheat as heat capacitors. Filled the bowl with HOT water.   Sprayed the racks with Pam and loaded the DBS up.

Smoked for 4 hours  using alternating apple/hickory for the first 3 hours and alternating hickory/mesquite for the last.

I smoked with the vent 1/2 open and did not open the door till smoke was done at 10:00pm
Sopped each cut with sop'n Sauce
Reset timer for 9hours and setpoint on the DBS at 280deg F
The Oven thermometer (I hung one to check temps about mid cabinet) read 175deg
The DBS term read 220 Deeg   (45degree diff)

Made sure I left the Brisket under a pork cut to collect drippings :)

Fast Forward to Sunday Morning...

Box temp was 243deg while oven read 215deg
Meat Probe Therm read
Lg shoulder 150
small butts 160
Brisket 160

Reduced setpoint to 220 rotating racks and spraying with apple juice.

Repeated the rotate and spray every hour.

Small 170deg
Large 160deg
Brisket 175 deg

Pulled the meat off the smoker at 1630 hours and FTC'd (after some more sop'n sauce and apple juice) the bunch of it.  Not before I pulled a litte to try. The pork was at 175 deg and the brisket at 185deg.  Not before I pulled a litte to try.  Here it is before I wrapped and stowed it.

It set in the cooler til 1800 hours and was pulled apart and sliced.   The pork was tender and juicy and pulled easily.   The brisket thickness varied so some parts were a little overdone the other parts were just right.  Since I was slicing I kept the "just right" right parts for myself.  LOL

Sorry no more pictures since I got busy eating and all.

As a side note I did cook dessert also.   A Blueberry-Vanilla Cream Cheese Cobbler in a dutch oven over some coals in the back yard.   

See ya'll on the next round.   

Steven

BTW if ya want the dessert recipie here it is:

Blueberry-Vanilla Cream Cheese Cobbler  (Baked in a 12" D.O.)

Add...
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 cup powered sugar
1 tblsp. pure vanilla extract
into a 5" dutch oven or small sauce pan. Simmer-stir until consistant and set aside.

Lightly spray or coat inside of cold 12" D.O with olive oil and add...
18.25 oz. white cake mix
12 oz. can ginger ale
into the cold D.O. Stir until mixture is consistent.

Add...
2- 15 oz. cans blueberries (Drain and discard syrup)
vanilla cream cheese mixture
into the D.O.

In a separate bowl mix and add...
17.5 oz. sugar cookie mix
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 1/4 sticks butter (melted)
into the D.O. Place lid on top of oven.

Place cold D.O. and contents over 12 briquettes and place 22 briquettes on oven lid.
Bake for 50 - 60 minutes with quarter rotations of oven and lid every 15 minutes.
Your nose will tell you when this one is done!

Smmmmmmm... Ahhhhhhh

NePaSmoKer

Very nicely done standles and i see you have some ice sauce  ;D

Keep up the good lookin smokes.

nepas

owrstrich

them nasty looking outtards shure got some good innards... dont they...

thanks for sharing...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

standles

Yeah I was a little concerned about the outward appearence but it hid a deep beauty within.

;D

West Coast Kansan

Great job and post Standles  :o

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Award winning presentation, take a bow. ;D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

SKSmoker

Lead by example

Kummok

One of the top 10 and most complete reports I've seen on this forum....well done! Even included the dessert!! Bradley AND dutch oven....you'd fit in well @ La Casa de Crane campfire!!  ;)

P.S.
Gotta add that I sign up for the 'Dutch Oven Cooking' class at our local community school EVERY time it's offered....not so much that I need to learn THAT much about dutch oven cooking, but the $10 registration fee buys the BEST meal in town AND I learn something new each time I attend and pig out on the "final exam" ;)!!

Mr Walleye

Excellent job Standles!

Now I'm hungry!  :'(

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

VERY, VERY good job. That is a perfect example of living "High on the Hog" :D
Ya done yer self proud Standles.

begolf25

Great post Standles, everything looks great!!!

Bryan

standles

Thanks guys..  I appreciate the applause..

I was hoping to rise up in quality of posts.

The Dutch Oven cooking is fun.  I started it in concert with a group of local cowboy shooters and have stuck with it.   I really enjoy the looks on the kids faces when you tell them your going to cook a cake in a iron pot over coals.  ::)

This time I got that and a couple of Ewwww it's burnt were not eating that...   Of course they had sauce down thier elbows before it was over with.

Steven

Consiglieri

Not only informative and thorough, but made me HUNGRY!  And I get to have leftovers.  Hopefully, there's still some smoked pork tenderloin at my place...  and a beer.

Cheers
Consiglieri

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: standles on June 20, 2007, 07:51:20 PM
Yeah I was a little concerned about the outward appearence but it hid a deep beauty within.

Yeah, the reentry vehicle look can be pretty scary.......   :o :o :o

Arcs_&_Kwajalein_Sparks