Chinese BBQ spare ribs --- HELP !!

Started by Junk Yard Dog, June 21, 2007, 02:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junk Yard Dog

This is probably off topic since I don't want to use smoke for this recipe.  I am marinating baby back ribs with a chinese bbq ribs recipe (includes hoisen sauce, soy, vinegar, etc. etc.).  The recipe I was using said to roast the ribs in a 375º oven for 45 minutes then 450º for 15 more minutes.  I tried cooking two of the ribs like the recipe said to do.

After looking at them after 35 minutes, they were blackened and overdone IMHO.  I would like to slow cook them in the Bradley and then FTC for tenderness.  I don't want them black, but reddish like we get at the Chinese restaurant.  I can't experiment because my guests are coming over tomorrow night for a chinese dinner.

Can someone give me a good guess at the time/temp to cook in the Bradley, and then FTC time?  Thanks a bunch.
Gary in Texas

CLAREGO

wow thats a good one. try this make your recipe. i would use saran wrap wrap them tight then take aluimuinum foil and cover them good then place them in a pan. in the oven at 300 degress whats important here is the inside temp if the meat get a thermometer like a polder so you can monitor the inside of the meat. if you want them falling off the bone 190-5 is a good temp 180-5 would work too. my suggestion to keep it from falling off the bone is about 175. after the cook process wrap some more foil over it and ftc the bad boy and use spare ribs.

CLAREGO

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

CLAREGO

icerat4

Not bad for a RAT id say. did you check out my grey talking its on utube.com under the search of PARROT SUNNY TALKS.There is a vid here some wheres too.Suns r funs for sure like lil clowns .Glad to see another birdman here RATS LOVE BIRDS .... ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

CLAREGO

started out with a lovebird it was the most friendliest anyone could ask for. she is still very shy but i keep working with her. after a lot of bites. she finally trusting me a little more as we progress. she came from an older lady that could not take care of her anymore. ill have to check that out. trying to get her to mimic hello 
but no luck yet glad to here that theres a another bird lover on here

CLAREGO

wow what a talker greys are supposed to be one the best talkers. did you make that holding post or did you buy it i like to make more for angel the red tips is diffrent isnt that a diffrent breed rat ?

CLAREGO

hey rat any advice on teaching a bird to talk ?

Junk Yard Dog

Thanks Clarego.  From your post, I thought Saran Wrap Premium was something special, but I see it is the replacement for the original and contains no chlorine and is a bit thicker.  However, Saran's website says it can't be used in an oven.

Can Saran™ Plastic Wraps be used in the oven?
No, Saran™ Wraps are not for use in conventional ovens, browning units, toaster ovens, or on stovetops.

Does wrapping in foil make it OK to use in the oven?

***** 2nd edit *****
Upon researching, I see Saran wrap is probably oven safe to 300º, so here is my plan.  I have cut the ribs to individual pieces and they are marinating in a glass baking dish.  I'll drain the marinade then wrap the dish tightly in Saran wrap and then foil (with a probe in one rib).  Cook at 250º until IT = 175º (3 hours?) then take the ribs out of the dish and seal them in foil and FTC (time dependent on supper time).

Please let me know if I should do different.  Thanks.
Gary in Texas

CLAREGO

thats sounds a ok on the temp.but i would saran wrap them directly to the meat (tight). the wrap may melt if you don't just for extra protection put foil over it will hold all the juices in . save the marinade back in the fridge and brush then lightly and brown the on a high temp after you take the saran off then ftc. foil in the oven thats odd bradley smokers tell you your not supposed to do it either. i don't know what degree foil burns at but i know it takes a high temp

Junk Yard Dog

Thanks!  Will do Clarego.  I'll report back tomorrow.
Gary in Texas

Junk Yard Dog

The ribs turned out great !  Thanks again.  It took 2 hours at 225º to get to 180º IT.  They were just like Chinese restaurant ribs - only better.  :)
Gary in Texas

CLAREGO

great to here that would you mind to share the recipe ?

Junk Yard Dog

Sure.  The marinade is from the Time Life series on cooking - Chinese cuisine.

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1 Tablespoon saki
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons chicken stock
Red food dye

I made a double batch then held some back for basting.  I cut the ribs to individual ribs and marinated overnight.  Next time, I may keep the rack of ribs intact so I don't have to wrap them individually.  As you suggested, I wrapped the ribs in Saran Wrap and foil before cooking at 225º for 2 hours.  IT was 180º.  After cooking, I took off saran wrap and foil then basted.  Put all the ribs in foil, and FTC'd for 3 hours.

Thanks again for your help.
Gary in Texas