• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butts

Started by hillbillysmoker, June 23, 2007, 10:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillysmoker

Did two butts today.  4 hours of alternate hickory and maple.  Great results.

May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Looks good, did you use other rub not pictured  ??? Looks like this may be a honey mustard glaze  :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

CLAREGO

hillbillysmoker

It's actually honey mustard glaze with Legg's Maple sausage seasoning.  It's my favorite.

West Coast Kansan

Bet it was good with a hickory / maple smoke.  Looks super

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

NePaSmoKer

Looks really good my friend  ;D

nepas

Arcs_n_Sparks

hillbillysmoker,

Not sure about the blue tones in your middle photo; you are not using cobalt salts in your rubs are you?

:D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Stickbowcrafter

MMMMM  :P

I love it when Mr. Brown comes to town  ;D

Nice job, the pulled pork looks delicious.

-Brian

danresqman

what was your time line with that? rub, rest, smoke, heat, ftc times?

hillbillysmoker

In regards to the blue tones.  It is just flash bounce and I must apologize cause some big dumbie (me) got his finger on the autofocus button and it was turned off.

As for the time line request:  I rubbed the butts down on Thursday evening with honey mustard and Legg's maple sausage seasoning, wrapped them in saran and put them in the refrigerator.  I preheated the smoker for about an hour on Friday evening and brought the temp to about 270.  Placed the butts in the smoker and set the temp to 225 at 6 p.m.  I used 4 hours of alternate hickory and maple. At 10 p.m. I replaced the water bowl and spritzed with apple juice.  Off to bed.  At 7 next morning I spritzed again with apple and again at 8.  First butt cleared the smoker at about 9:30 a.m.  The next at about noon with an internal temp of 195 for both.  FTC for 2 hours and then it simply fell apart.  I hope this helps.

Carter

Hi Hillbilly Smoker,

You said you pulled the first butt off at 9:30am FTC'd it and pulled it two hours later.  What did you do with it once it was pulled - Besides eating it?  9:30am is a little early for any pork product other than bacon in these parts.

Any time I've smoked anything, I tend to feel like I'm praying for the meat to be done so people can eat at a reasonable time.

I'd like to be able to finish the job long before my guests arrive knowing that the food is delicious and good to go when people are ready.

What do people do about re-heating so it doesn't dry out.

Carter

HCT

Leave the butt in the FTC and when your time to eat approaches take it out and pull your meat. The FTC process keeps it warm and helps making the pulling easier.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Carter

Thanks Much   :)

hillbillysmoker

The second butt was the meal plan.  The first went to freezer bags and the freezer for later use when we want something quick.

chuck steak

Quote from: HCT on June 25, 2007, 10:06:20 AM
Leave the butt in the FTC and when your time to eat approaches take it out and pull your meat. The FTC process keeps it warm and helps making the pulling easier.
Okay I'm have'n a brain cramp, whats FTC? jeeze louise I bet this sounds silly.