• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cleaning time or not??

Started by chuck steak, June 25, 2007, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck steak

Hey guys,
Well I've used my new ss BS a few times now sience getting it just B4 fathers day. First let me say thanx for setting me stright on breakin it in B4 the first smoke ;)
Now It looks like it needs a cleaning around the heating eliment, somke is very heavy in that area only. around the generator opening on the inside, it is in good shape about what you would see on tha door.
So excuse me for asking the obvious question should I clean up around the heating eliment and with what. I want to stay away from harsh chemicals.
what do you all use? Is this build-up normal in that one area?
Thanx inadvance for the come back.

West Coast Kansan

If your talking about the deflector at the heating element i used a dremel with wire brush this week end.  Went from being somewhat like an asphalt pavement to a very dirty mirror.  No notable change in performance.  (It had been a year without cleaning).  It will be a while before i clean it again.   ::)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

chuck steak

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on June 25, 2007, 06:01:40 PM
If your talking about the deflector at the heating element i used a dremel with wire brush this week end.  Went from being somewhat like an asphalt pavement to a very dirty mirror.  No notable change in performance.  (It had been a year without cleaning).  It will be a while before i clean it again.   ::)
wasn't wanting to breakout the power tools, dang thang is bout new...LOL maybe tha hammer and a small chizzle will do it. there's got to be a better way hasn't there?

CLAREGO

mr clean magic eraser works good i would leave it alone for awhile until it gets like west coasts

aha638

I have mine mounted with only two screws so it is easy to remove with out disturbing the heater element.  I remove and clean it about every 5 or 6 smokes using "oven-off".

Al

West Coast Kansan

Does anyone notice any difference in performance.  I did a similar post long ago with the same question but did not get a response ... just ignored the issue and was happy all the same.  Maybe even there is not as much heat deflected up the back if it is dirty. Dont know.  It was there at the same time as the dremel so nuked it and the puck plate real good.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

I haven't had to clean the deflector shield on mine yet but think i will have to as i notice a build up of goo after the 12 racks of ribs Friday.  I like WCK's idea of the power tools.

My advice to the do-it-yourselfers, use the task as an excuse to buy a new tool.  I call this the "Honey-Do-Plan".  Here is how it works.  You are asked to do some task by your loved one.  In order to accomplish the task, you realize that you need a new tool to do the job properly.  So a trip to the hardware store and voila, you have a new tool.  Took me two years to convince one of my friends on the merrits of the honey-do-plan and now he enjoys spreading the good news as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

WCK;

I cleaned mine on occassion, and I've never seen any improvement in heating.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO