Question about Hams, Canadian Bacon and Bacon.

Started by Smoke_Lover, June 26, 2007, 02:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke_Lover

Hi Guys;

First, I have contacted Iceman about gettin' some sopin' sauce.  He sent the instructions, so I PM my info to him, and now I am waitin' to try some of this highly rated sauce and rub. Thanks Iceman.  Now to my question.

I am planning to cure some Canadian Bacon as my first cure.  The instructions seem straight forward and I hope there will be no problems.  What gets my curiousity up is; what all parts of the pig can be cured as Ham, Can. Bacon and Bacon.  Does it just have to be the traditional cuts?

Someone posted they had made Bacon out of a leaner cut of meat.  Is it still going to taste like bacon. Is it the cure or the cut of meat that makes it what it is.  I would like to take a few smaller pork roasts and try different cures on them to find that special one. I want to cure one with Maple syrup and Applewood and another with Apple Cider with Apple wood.

Any help would be apreciated
Thanks
Jay
You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

Habanero Smoker

Other parts of the hog can be cured. A good example is Mallard Whackers Buckboard Bacon, which uses the butt to make bacon. The picnic shoulder can also be cured like a ham. In my opinion, each cut of meat have a similar cure taste, that is imparted by the nitrites and/or nitrates; but are very distinct due to the type of muscle you use, it's fat content, and what flavorings you use with the cure.

I have never cured using an acid base. Because of the long cure times, I would be concerned with the vinegar "cooking" the meat. If you have a specific cure recipe with vinegar in it, I would be interested in seeing it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO

yeah pork cheeks are supposed to make some good bacon!

Smoke_Lover

Thanks Guys;

Hab, no I meant Apple Cider not the vinager, and I am just studying up before I start anything.  I was at a local market that sold Apple Cider cured Ham.  I have been searching the internet and I am confused as to when they would add the apple cider.

Looking at Olds Recipe site and other information I can find.  The cures call for a dry rub/cure, at least I have yet to see one that calls for liquid in the cure.  Let me know if I missed one, please. As for as "Cheeks" I will get some experience 1st. ;) That is a great pic of your, Parrot?.

The local butcher has pork loin for $2.99lb so Friday I will start some Canadian Bacon.  I will probably do 4 3lb roasts.  I want to try some different cures on each 1.

Later
Jay
You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

Habanero Smoker

Sorry! I misread your post. I coming off a long weekend, that included sitting in the sun all day drinking, and getting very little sleep at night.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

West Coast Kansan

Sounds like a great weekend HabS  :D Welcome back,  ;D any stories to share  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on June 26, 2007, 11:17:17 PM
Sounds like a great weekend HabS  :D Welcome back,  ;D any stories to share  ;)
It's one of those situations in which:"What goes on in Saratoga Springs; stays in Saratoga Springs." The only thing I can share is that it was the first time in three years I did not get a prize in our food competition. :-[

I
         don't
                   inhale.

West Coast Kansan

:( obviously an issue with the judges  :(  take care

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)