• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie to the site with a couple questions

Started by Griff, June 26, 2007, 08:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griff

Hello everyone, I just stumbled upon this site last night and absolutely love it!  You guys are a wealth of info, and although I have had an OBS for 2 years, I feel like I dont have clue.  Since last night I have learned many new things like "FTC" "TS" "PID" "RAPTOR", etc, etc!  I am a little overwhelmed, and have three questions, so I'll just throuw them out here in the same post.

First has to do with actual smoking:

I have on several occasions loaded my OBS with 9 racks of ribs, cut in 1/2, closed the door and fired it up for 8 hours, rotating the racks once.  The ribs have been great, but get a little charred at the end.  I have been using smoke (hickory) the entire time, and keep it around 200 degrees.  The ribs (pork, baby back) always have their membranes removed, and are dry-rubbed overnight.  I haven't been moping during the cooking process, but after reading these posts, I think I will start doing so.  I also have never FTC'd them, but certainly plan on it.  I guess my question is, do you see anything based on my description that you would do differently?  Or, any suggestions on smoking big loads of ribs?  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, I have a big rib plans for the 4th.

Second question: 

Do you need to adjust smoking/cooking time with the OBS if I am smoking that load of ribs at altitude (6,000 -6500 ft)? 

Third question: 

What is the first add-on piece of equipment you would consider?  I typically smoke ribs, and did a brisket once, which was terrific.  TC, PID, etc...

Thanks guys, glad I found the site.

3rensho

The only thing I've added to my OBS is a PID.  Cheap and easy to wire up.  Set it and forget it.  If a breeze comes up or the ambient temp drops it doesn't matter - no playing with the slider.

I always FTC now.  Whether butt, ribs or brisket it is invaluable for a tender, juicy product. 

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

chuck steak

man I hate being the new kid, I know a PID is some sort of temp controll, I know nothing of this could one of you share? I was gonna go to Northern Handyman store to see what they have. Would help if I knew more about what I'm looking for. There has to be a way to plug a temp gaudge into tha meat when smokin.

Griff

Tom, thanks for the response, any thoughts on Brands of PIDs, and do they come with instructions on wiring them into the OBS?  Drilling required?

HCT

I'm with Griff and chuck steak, any info better yet a walk me through would be appreciated. TIA.
Mike
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smudge

I built my own PID with the instructions found somewhere on this or Old's site. I've yet to use it. I wouldn't have anything left to do except drink beer. I must be a real putzer.

chuck steak

Quote from: Smudge on June 26, 2007, 10:09:59 AM
I built my own PID with the instructions found somewhere on this or Old's site. I've yet to use it. I wouldn't have anything left to do except drink beer. I must be a real putzer.
dang my friend, have you seen ols' site....talk about the information hwy!!!!! hahahahahaha, get that old dude here I bet he can find it in a second. LOL ( j/k ols :D)

Tiny Tim

I've got all my pieces ready to build my PID, but have yet to assemble everything.  Which sucks cause I have a brisket in the fridge waiting to be introduced to the smoker...something I haven't done yet.

begolf25

Here is the link from the recipe site on how to build a PID. It is not as complicated as it may seem.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315

Bryan

Tiny Tim

I'm familiar with it....darn TV gets ahold of me before I can grab the tools and sit down and put it together.  And tonight the chat room is gonna get ahold of me...I just know it.

smokin stu

The first add on for me was a Maverick ET-73 so I could remotely know what was going on in my smoker and could confidently predict when the meat would be done by the meat probe.  That being said, the smoker shack I built has been the most useful as I no longer drag the BS out of the garage, or wait for decent weather.  The PID is great as it is a set it and forget it kind of thing.

Sooooo..  I recomend the ET-73 so you see what's happening without having to open the door too much, some sort of all-weather protection so you can smoke when it's fourty below and blowing, and the PID so you are confident that what temp you want is where it is and no worries for thse longer smokes like overnighters.

Another good add on is an aluminum dispoasble lasagna pan that just fits in the bottom of the BS which allows me an eight hour gap between tending the BS, rather than the four hours between tending the BS with the small pan thats included.

You had asked for the one thing right? ;)

Griff

Thank you Stu, I am picking up a Maverick today.  I assume you fill that lasagna pan with water instead of using the bowl, right?  Thanks for the response.

Griff

Habanero Smoker

As for the altitude question; those members living in those areas could best answer this, but my understanding high altitude only comes into effect when using water to cook (braising, boiling etc), and when baking. Dry heat roasted/barbequing should not need any adjustments in cooking times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

Quote from: Griff on June 26, 2007, 08:54:36 AM
closed the door and fired it up for 8 hours, rotating the racks once.  The ribs have been great, but get a little charred at the end.  I have been using smoke (hickory) the entire time, ....... Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, I have a big rib plans for the 4th.

Not sure if the two statements above (8 hours and smoke the entire time) mean you apply smoke for the entire 8 hours.  I never exceed 4 hours of actual smoke for any thing I have made so far.  You also mentioned only rotating the racks once.  I just did 12 racks last week Friday.  The cab temp dropped like a rubber ball in liquid nitrogen.  From a 250 degree pre temp to about 140 degree loaded.  I kept the temp control on high (320 on digital).  The cab temp never hit 200 degrees during the 4 hours of smoke and it was a nice and warm (70-80+ degrees) day.   I rotated the racks 3 times in the 4 hours as the lower back of the racks were cooking while the rest were not receiving much heat.  After the 4 hours, I pulled the ribs, placed in an aluminum foil pan with 1/8 inch of apple juice and Wild Turkey in the bottom, some I also slathered on some BBQ sauce, then covered with heavy duty foil and placed into a convection oven at 350 for 1.5 hours then dropped to 200 for 1 hour.  Turned out great and falling off the bone.   I normally don't put them in the oven set at such a high temp but the lower cab temps due to the heavy load meant my time line was getting extended beyond my serving time (I only alloted 6 hours for the ribs as I have never had to go longer than that for fantastic ribs).   As you can see, there are many journeys to the same destination and most of them are just as enjoyable as the others.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/