• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cleaning "V" channel???

Started by Payson, June 27, 2007, 06:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payson

Is there a better way to clean the "V" shaped insert that channels the drips? I smoked a corned beef yesterday that I occasionally squirted with apple juice. The resulting baked on mess looked like the bottom of an oven that hadn't been cleaned in years. I used non-stick cooking spray but nevertheless the burnt on blackened caramelized sugar was welded on. Needless to say clean-up was quite a chore! I don't have a dishwasher but I know for a fact that a dishwasher wouldn't have touched it! My instinct is to cover the "V" channel in a piece of foil and then cut out the appropriate slits. I do not want to void my warranty though. Any other tips or tricks?
Thanks!
Chris
PS, the corned beef turned out awesomely!

Lefty_Smoker

I've been using my Bradley for going on about six months now, and my V pan looks as good as new.  Here is what I do: I spray the whole pan down liberally with Pam grilling spray, top and bottom.  Note that I use the grilling/hi-temp spray, which is designed to withstand higher temps than the standard Pam cooking spray which would otherwise just burn off.

Clean the pan before, wipe it dry, then coat with Pam grilling spray, thats it.

After a smoke, I just fill my kitchen sink with hot water, add some degreasing liquid dish soap and a little dishwasher detergent powder for good measure.  I let it all soak for a couple hours, then everything pretty much wipes right off.  You do need to use a bit of elbow grease to get the tougher stuff off, but a decent scouring pad will do the job after a good soak with minimal effort.

CLAREGO

don't matter how much you spray/clean it will eventually just brown up. aluminum foil will work keep in mind of the warranty though i just let my go the way it is no spray its black on the bottom like charcoal i do give it a washing but i don't use elbow grease at all. you can always use stove cleaner but that will destroy it eventually.

standles

I either soak it in a sink of hot water and dawn for a bit and wash or throw it in the dishwasher.   Either way it always omes clean for me.

I also use the grilling pam before I smoke

Steven

Payson

Thanks all! The Pam for Grilling must be the secret! I just used the regular stuff. I don't care about it darkening from smoke, just the heavy debris!

MRH

I use a pressure sprayer on mine some of the time,  but you have to be careful not to blow it across the yard ;D

Mark

Gizmo

MRH, I suspect after a good power washing you need to rebend the channels out after the flattening the would get.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

I have had good experience with Dawn Power Dissolver on the big chunks.  It does great on the racks.  The oven cleaner i used before is what killed the coating on my jerky racks - i think-  ;D

Foil used that way is scary to me.  Fear of blocking the flow of heat or the flow of gue.   :-X

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on June 27, 2007, 08:02:53 PM
I have had good experience with Dawn Power Dissolver on the big chunks.  It does great on the racks.  The oven cleaner i used before is what killed the coating on my jerky racks - i think-  ;D

Foil used that way is scary to me.  Fear of blocking the flow of heat or the flow of gue.   :-X

I don't think the oven cleaner was the cause of the non-stick peeling off the jerky racks. I had the same problem with my jerky racks, and I never used anything stronger then dish washing detergent.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

I opened my vents up a bit further as for cleaning just a toss in the DW. My jerky racks peeled too, i took a pic of them and sent to Bradley and they sent me a new box of em. Great company.

nepas  ;D

LilSmoker

I leave mine soaking for as long as possible, then i spray with "Flash", don't know if you guys have this on your side of the pond?. Anyway this stuff has bleach etc, which helps dissolve the grime, i've found it very good for cleaning up the BS racks/trays etc.  ;)

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

West Coast Kansan

HabS, you are probably right about the cleaner.  It looks like my new racks are not as glld as i thought.  Been pam like crazy too  ???

Mr. NePA, Did opening your slots help with heat up the back of the unit  ??? Notice any other helps  ???  How far can you open them, like how many of what coin thickness.  I spread mine just a bit but maybe not a manly slot yet.   ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Consiglieri

Don't know if you guys have seen those "Grease Bullet" commercials, but throw a couple of those tabs in the DW covered compartment and the racks come out pretty shiney.  Also have put the v tray on the grill and heated it up pretty good and gave it a good wire brushing.

I've been tempted to put the v rack in the self cleaning oven, but worried that the high heat might warp the bejesus out of it. 

Other topic: widening the channels.  Anyone find that widening the channels helps with heat distribution throughout the tower?  during my last smoke huge discrepency between temp near the heat source, below the tray, and heat above at meat just above meat level.
Consiglieri

Gizmo

I open them up before each smoke or after each cleaning since the scrubbing can push them down a bit.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

I opened mine a bit a while ago, after i learned some were made with a small slit.  Not sure how agressive to be... maybe until i mess with goo flow  :D