• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Iceman to the rescue... again

Started by Oldman, June 27, 2007, 10:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well at the last minute I'm doing 8 large boston butts for a get - together this Saturday (pulled pork.)

A Rub....what rub do I want to use??? I really don't have time to mix things up... then the light blub comes one... Hey Stupid (that is me) you're having another OLD MOMENT AGAIN... you have several packs of Iceman's rub....

Problem solved... BTW his rub on chicken cooked on my radient gas grill is second to none...

While there are several good rubs and sauces in this world, if you have not tried his you are shorting yourself.

Oh ya... I will reheating the pork and my beans in 3 solar ovens for the event. If you have not tried an solar oven you are just spending money on fuel that is a total waste.

If anyone purchase a Global Sun Solar Oven http://www.sunoven.com/usa.asp and does not like it, if you pay the shipping I will give you retail minus 10% for it.

Hopefully begolf25 will be adding this item to his offerings, what a deal... get a pool, a smoker and a solar oven from a one stop shopping place.   ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

CLAREGO

Oldman

*Cough* they came out 18 hours later... outstanding or so Mother says as she had pulled pork sandwiches for breakfast LOL~~!

I did not chop back all of the bark into the meat as this is a new group for me to cook for. All in all I ended up with 13 1/2 pounds of pulled meat. By using a standard to smaller hamburger bun I should get around 50 sandwiches out of this. Plus I'm bring 3 gallons of my candized Boston Style Baked Bean.

This event is a group of 3 MG clubs. The one is doing hamburger, the other hot dog... heheh we all know who food is going to go first.

BTW I think I got the last SS Bradley Chez has.... I'm going to give to my son-in-law for Christmas... however, I'm not going to put a fan in it. He can do that himself.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

CLAREGO

QuoteThis event is a group of 3 MG clubs. The one is doing hamburger, the other hot dog... heheh we all know who food is going to go first.

ummm let me take a very educated guess lol

hey olds worried about temp in the meat did it get to the 140 degree mark in 4 hours to be safe ??(I not sure if this is right)

How much smoke you use for that pig ?

Oldman

I went with 5 hours of smoke (Oak.)  No the box never got to 140F in the first 4 hours. Maybe 130F.  Not worried as it was fresh pork and the smoke stops growth on the surface.  Top box temp. this morning was just short of 210F.

I'm not a believer of going above the point of boiling water when cooking.  Once you go over boiling point of water meat shrinks; gets drier, and it starts to get tough.

CLAREGO

so you dont have to worry about the internal temperature of pork. 8 of them i would image took awhile to get  too pulling stage. so you just made sure the temp stayed under 210 for the first 5 hours ?

Oldman

Quoteso you just made sure the temp stayed under 210 for the first 5 hours ?

Look I don't know what else to tell ya... if you are worried during the smokin' period about a problem then my only suggetion is to grill hot dogs.

CLAREGO

well feeding many people i would be a little worried. infact it happens many of times in the us that people can get sick i just wanted to know the story behind cooking 8 butts thats a lot of meat. and a long process. i mentioned the 5 hour mark as a stating point thats when i always have my butt at least to 135 degrees. but it seems here the smoke kills most of the bacteria during a long smoke. I just wanted to know a little bit more about 8 butts and being safe. i have mastered the butts but 8 of them seems to be a challenge to be that will be done !!!!!!!! HOTDOGS I BETTER THAN THAT I CAN GRIND THE BEST HOTDOG YOU EVER HAD
THANKS OLDS

CLAREGO

Should you worry about the safe zone i am asking maybe someone can respond to that. a butt or shoulder is a big hunk of meat but is the smoke killing all the bacteria then when you raise the temp of the cabinet it kills the rest. or am i just worring to much ??????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Oldman

Quote from: TheCLAREGO on June 29, 2007, 08:35:25 AM
Should you worry about the safe zone i am asking maybe someone can respond to that. a butt or shoulder is a big hunk of meat but is the smoke killing all the bacteria then when you raise the temp of the cabinet it kills the rest. or am i just worring to much ??????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

You are pretty much on spot. I preheat the smoke first then place the butts in. As soon as the box get to  190F I back off of the heat.

Hope this helps.