Beer can chicken in the DBS

Started by walpick, July 01, 2007, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walpick

I am on my 5th hour with a beer can chicken.  Temp is 162 right now.  I used Apple.  Am I on the right track?????

walpick

Guys that was the best beer can chicken I have ever had.  Skin was no good but we do not eat it anyway.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see everything worked out for you.

What temperature did you smoke/cook it at? What type and how much smoke? What was the final internal temperature and where did you take the temperature at?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

I have done BCC in my BS many times, turns out wonderful  ;D

nepas

ohioan

I have only done a drunk chicken on a grill as a high temp. is needed to char up the outside a little to seal in the juices therefore allowing the liquid in the can to seep in fro the inside.
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

ohioan

FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

walpick

Habanero,

I rubbed the chicken with olive oil and put rosemary, tyhme and garlic all over inside and out.  I than put 1/2 can of beer with minced garlic,onion,and 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar.

I smoked at 220 with 4.5 hours of apple to an internal temp in the deep of the breast of 170.

The bird weighed 8.4 pounds.  Total cook time was around 6 hours.  Skin was not good bit insides were awesome

WalPick

Habanero Smoker

Wow! That was a large bird. I was just curious. Occasionally I will do can chicken in the BS, but generally reserve that for the grill. I generally will use a juice like pineapple or mango, or soda such as ginger ale or 7 Up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: ohioan on July 03, 2007, 04:48:21 AM
NePa, how did you do yours?

I rubbed the chix with tequila lime seasoning and placed over dr pepper cans and smoked with 6 pucks of alder.

Mmmmm mmmmm good.

Make sure the breast meat reaches atleast 180*

nepas

walpick

See, this is why I love this forum. You guys rock.  I am going to try it next time.  I am putting the butt in now for the 4th and doing some chicken breasts for the gumbo tommorro.
All of you guys have a great 4TH.  Be safe and stay hydrated  HAHA

Wally

Gizmo

I have yet to do one in the BS but think when I do attempt it, I will use a max temp setting on the heat.  2 hours of smoke or less if the bird hits 140 before then.  My thought on this would be to see if that would make the skin more palatable right out of the smoker.  Don't need low and slow for chicken as it is not tought to begin with.

Has anyone tried a high temp approach on them?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Yea, I have not had the skin you are looking for though. Still too much moisture to deal with.  Two hours of smoke is plenty - but i think more smoke is needed with a can vs a crown. The can reduces the air flow through the body. 

If you really want the skin I would butterfly them and finish will real heat on the grill or finish in your convection should be great -not that I have one but it makes sense - 

I dont think the BS moves enough air through the vent with a high enough temp at the same time to get crispy skin.  As said the beauty is deeper than the skin.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Thanks WCK.  Looks like the off bradley finish woud still be the way to go then.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I'm always smoking/cooking chicken at the highest temperature, but with my BS and the size of the load I rarely get over 250°F. I've always said, texture is a subjective opinion. I have never been able to smoke chicken in the BS and get the skin the way I would like it, even when finishing on the grill.

You best results may be to use a low temperature at first while applying the smoke. Then before most of the fat renders out; move them to a grill or broiler and finish them off. There should still be enough fat under the skin to crisp it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Johnny Guitar

I just did a Smoked Chicken yesterday.  I did 1.5 hours of cold smoke then moved it to the Grill.  Before putting it on the grill, I spriked a dry rub.  I got all the wonderful smoke flavor and the benifit of a crispy skin.  Ten minutes before taking it off the grill I put a traditional tomato based sauce on.  Yummy
Cheers,