• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A little Grease Problem - Need Advice

Started by gdoily, July 04, 2007, 03:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdoily

Newb here - on my second batch of chickens with my SS Bradley.  This time leg quarters - last time whole chicks. 

Question - I have a large amount of grease running out of the bottom of the smoker box.  Looks like the drip tray has very little in it.  Also looks like the deflector plate (or whatever you call it) is funneling dripping onto the wall of the box, and it is running down past the front corner of the drip tray into the bottom of the box.  Anyone else have this issue?  Should I drill holes in the trough of the deflector plate to encourage more drippings straight down on the tray?

Thanks.

Arcs_n_Sparks

gdoily,

Do you have the "v" pan installed correctly? It should funnel down towards the water bowl. My first smoke I had it upside down.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Gizmo

Got to agree with the sparkler on the V tray.  Not totally impossible for it to leak some out the left and right side (middle of V tray) especially for chickens that are quite filled with liquid.  Also check the hole in the middle where the goo is suppose to drip down into the bowl.  It can get clogged as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

gdoily

You called it - drip pan in upside down :o.  The display was set up that way when I bought it and I just did the same.  Feel pretty stupid actually as it should be obivous.  Spent the last hour cleaning up the grease mess.  Oh well, the chicken was outstanding!

Thanks for your help.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: gdoily on July 04, 2007, 06:19:02 PM
You called it - drip pan in upside down :o.  The display was set up that way when I bought it and I just did the same.  Feel pretty stupid actually as it should be obivous.  Spent the last hour cleaning up the grease mess.  Oh well, the chicken was outstanding!

Thanks for your help.

Okay, now that we have that cleared up, should be another 20 years of experiments, photos, and adult beverages.  8)

Sparkler... 

HCT

gdoily, I almost did the same thing on my first smoke. Loaded the box up, turned it on, shut the door and started smoking but something didn't sit right with me. I went back and looked inside the box agqain and it hit me, turn the v plate over. :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Cajun

Must have had way too many Budweisers when getting started   ???
There is a place for all of Gods animals right next to the mashed potatos and gravy

gdoily

Yeah, I feel pretty low on common sense after that move - then outing myself in public!

Oh well, no harm, no foul...all cleaned up and ready for the two butts going in tomorrow night.  Can't wait to see how the drip pan works when properly installed.

winemakers

gotta love your first impulse tho,  Modify, cut, maim, drill holes!!

that is a proper impulse w/o a doubt!

;D

gdoily

Good thing I axed before I took the sheet metal saw to it! 8)