• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

To Mop My Butt's or Not??

Started by gdoily, July 06, 2007, 11:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdoily

Got two BB's (~8lbs each) in the fridge soaking up rub.  Going to start them off tonight.  Looking for suggestions:

1.)  Mop or no mop (or spray)?
2.)  Rotate the racks during the process?
3.)  Planning 6 hrs smoke then cook till temp is right

Other suggestion?

Thanks

boxertrio

1.)nah....no need
2.)yes, once at about 8hrs or so in
3.)4 hrs smoke should be plenty

pull at 190, ftc 2-4 hrs and eat.

More will chime in, but this is how I do'em with great results....good luck
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

West Coast Kansan

What Boxertrio says.  I usually only smoke for 4 hours - change out the water bowl and rotate at the 4 hour point.  It is then bedtime with the next look in the morning.   ;D

The bottom butt will usually be at or close to IT and the second butt about 2 hours behind. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

NePaSmoKer

1. boxertrio is on there
2. ditto again
3. 6 hrs is alot of smoke. Try 2 to 4 hrs

pull @190 ya, ftc 2-4 ya

Ah hell just do what boxertrio said  ;D

nepas  ;D

gdoily

Ok, thanks for the answers....

Overshot the mark a little it seems.  Went to bed and all looked well.  Rotated the butts, box temp was good.  Got up this morning (7 hrs later) and both are at 205 +/-.  Immediately pulled them off and wrapped them in foil.  They don't look like jerky, but are definitely done.  Trying to fall apart just getting them off the rack and onto the foil. 

Not serving till tonight - should I go ahead and cool them off wrapped up to preserve moisture or FTC?

boxertrio

I'd just refrigerate and reheat at around 230 degrees.  If you took'em to 205 you probably don't need to worrie about ftc. They will be great and fall apart well when you pull'em, hell if you pull'em at 190 and ftc they probably get close to 205 internal anyway........Enjoy
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

coyote

I'm sorry gdoily , but somehow I must've missed your address and serving time. :-[ I sure don't wanna
be late. ::)......................Welcome aboard and have a great dinner.

Coyote

gdoily

Austin Texas - come on down, just follow your nose! ;D

After posting my question on the butt, I went in and checked it out - melt in your mouth!  Wrapped up tight and quick cooled to be re-heated for dinner.  Since I had time on my hands and company coming, ran to the market and bought 3 racks of spare ribs.  In the smoker now.  Should be a monumental feed tonight! 8)

HCT

Hey g, don't ya love it when you can't get enough smoking? :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Gizmo

gdoily,  good to see the texans branching out from more than just brisket.   :D :D
Butts sounds like it made out just fine.  Let us know how the ribs came out and the rating from the guests.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

gdoily, were not opposed to photos to show off a bit  ;) courious what temperature your oven was set  ??? Reads like good butt fixings in TX!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

gdoily

My box temp crept up to close to 250 over night.  In retrospect, I was wiping the table after opening the door and probably moved the slide over to more heat accidentally.

Ok, the results are in.  Butt reheated and opened foil.  Literally was breaking into chunks in my hands!  Shredded with a fork - moist, tender, and perfect!

Ribs - 5 hrs at 225 +/-, then finished for 1 hour in oven covered at 300.  Perfect!  By far best ribs I have ever made.  We all stuffed ourselves on them.  Rave reviews from the crowd.

Best part is my wife who is not a huge meat fan.  She is certainly no vegetarian, but hog parts are normally not her thing.  She went on and on about how tender the "roast" was and loved the ribs.  I doubt I will have to sell her on something different than chicken or fish in the future.

Great success with my first big feed with my BDS. ;D  Thanks for your input.

Wildcat

Just love it when a plan comes together.  Nice town that Austin.  I love the Texas hill country.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/