Ok, so which one?

Started by brderj, July 06, 2007, 01:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brderj

Since the smoker comes in 4 or 6 rack I am debating on which one to pick up.  I know the 6 rack is more expensive, but not by much, especially if the amount of food it holds is a vast difference.  So I figure I'll just tell you what kind of cooking I do.

Typically I over cook.  I'll cook a 8lb Boston just for me.  Now that will keep for a week worth of sandwiches, not like I can eat it all in one setting.  Though I have tried.  I'm also in the military (hence why I cant go look at them right now, get my drift) and I cook for a good amount of people.  Lots of guys that don't have families around the holidays, bring 'em over for what I call "turkeypalooza" where every year I smoke 2 turkeys, fry two turkeys, and bake 2 turkeys.  So for situations like that, where I'm smoking 2 turkeys, or maybe two Boston's, and a brisket with a few racks of ribs, which is something I have done before.  Or one large piece of meat....

Anyway that's typically how I cook.  Would I be happy with 4 or spend the extra and get the 6?  Thanks for your help guys.

Jay

winemakers

I have an original 4 rack and if I must say, we have the same cooking style.  Why waste time cooking one when the same effort yields two?

I have packed my 4 racker many a time, and I have yet to wish for too much more.  Is more nice? Sure, see the above, but do I need it?  Not worth it for me.  Did 50 lbs of butt at one time, now that was a strain on the racks for sure, but it worked well just the same.

I did mod with a temperature controller and a fan, but I am a compulsive tinkerer.........  add a $50 temperature controller (see temp switch thread by stickbowcrafter), I would save the cash for that prime rib to add to turkey pallooozzzaaa.

mld

ps: thank you for serving.

Gizmo

Can't go wrong with any model.  The originals are a lot cheaper and do lend themselves to some cool, no hot upgrades.  The digitals are also good but do take a little understanding in that the temperature sensor on the digital readout should not be used to determine what the temperature the meat is seeing.  The more you load your box, the more challenged the BS is to achieve your desired set temperature.  I would say you can put several extra racks of ribs, brisket flats, and beef jerky in the 6 rack than you can a 4 rack, but when it comes to butts, whole chickens, turkeys, and other large bulky foods, there is not enough room between the racks to fill them all up.  Best example of stuffing the 6 rack with jerky is you can use 12 trays (6 regular and 6 inverted) versus 8 (4 regular and 4 inverted) on the 4 rack model.  I have also put 12 racks of ribs on the 6 rack DBS.  It was a tight fit but got the job done even thought I cheet and after the 4 hours of smoke (box never reached desired 200 deg temp during the 4 hours) I pulled them and finished in the oven.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

standles

I debated the same issue.

I went with the 6.

Only a little more $$
It is better to need extra space and have it than need it and not.
It makes it easier to rotate the racks around during cooking
For vertical foods (Ie Bacon Slabs)   I can theoretically run 2 sets of slabs.
When I smoke hams this Thanksgiving I have room to hang vertically from the top rack .

Those were the reasons I went 6rack instead of 4

Steven

Consiglieri

I went with the 6r DBS.  cost difference was not that much, plus greater flexibility.

Plus I'm compensating for a very poor personality and can't afford a Porsche.

Consiglieri

wicz

brderj,

I have the 6 rack DBS.  If the money is not an issue go for the 6 rack.  Which Branch of the service are you on?

coyote

Welcome aboard Brderj ,
                               I have the original.....does me just fine. But the forum is the true Crowning Jewel.
It takes on a stronger kinship as every day passes.
                                                                                       Coyote

brderj

How bad is this temp difference?  If I cant get the DBS above 200 then I honestly will loose all interest in it.  That would pose the same problems I have had with regular wood smokers in the past... ???

I have a good temp reader, I can just leave it in the meat and walk away, put it in the smoker and read the temp inside.  I know how touchy the temp in smokers can be, but I didnt think it was so bad with the DBS that reaching 200 was a problem. 

Consiglieri

I think he was talking about initial temps with a full 12 racks. Temps will balance as time progresses
Consiglieri

brderj

Quote from: Consiglieri on July 07, 2007, 08:37:48 AM
I think he was talking about initial temps with a full 12 racks. Temps will balance as time progresses

Ahh touché... ;D  We can now resume normal operations....

acords

QuotePlus I'm compensating for a very poor personality and can't afford a Porsche.
:) ;D
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

LilSmoker

Well i have a rack original, and i love it to bits :-[ however, a while back Gizmo posted some pics of a real nice spread he did in his 6 rack digital, and i must say i was jealous  ::)

As already said, you can't go wrong whatever model you choose ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

brderj

I found one for $490 today, brand new with warranty.  Don't know how they managed that, maybe they get me with the shipping.  Maybe I'm sleep deprived and misunderstood the whole thing...

Guys I gotta tell you, I'm just about sold on this smoker.  To be able to get that temp where I need it with no effort (can you tell I use to own an offset smoker yet?) is just the cats meow to me. 

Gizmo

Sorry for the misunderstanding brderj but the under 200 deg was with 12 racks of ribs, DBS stuffed to the max.  Under normal cirmcumstances (and a another hour) the box does get up to way beyond that.  I believe 280 was about the highest I have had mine in a preheat before dropping the temp down and loading up the box.  For the 12 racks of ribs, I did not preheat high enough.  I was trying to put too much together for a party at one time and was in a hurry to get the ribs on.  Here is a couple pictures of the loaded 6R DBS.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

brderj

I cant see any of these pictures guy, none of them on any of the other posts.  Its not your fault, I blame government computer technology.   ;D 

Thanks for clarifying that.  My understanding of Bradley as a company is they make top of the line smokers.  I know coming here and asking my questions was a bias opinion, but honestly no other electric smoker I can find matches up, so I guess that is exactly what I needed.  Plus you all come very highly recommended.  You guys should be proud of that, to make an environment to help others.  Good job.  And thank you again.

Jay