Monday night brisket

Started by nsxbill, October 04, 2004, 10:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Had the wife pick up soft french sandwich rolls yesterday, in anticipation of some good brisket sandwiches for Monday night football.  Took the day off today, and fired up the Bradley this morning about 7:30 using the BBQ-Guru to completely control the cooking.  Doing 12 lbs of brisket.  

The brisket spent the night in a mustard sauce and rub.  Took them out of the cold storage and gave them a light dusting of rub before hitting the BS.  Smoked four hours with Alder, then out of the box to get turned over, sauced up, saran then foil wrap, and back into the smoker on different shelf.  Set the BBQ-Guru and just walked away now for the second time today.  Trying this mid smoke wrap in foil for the first time.  Hope it comes out ok!

The Guru just works flawlessly.  It is so convenient to not obscess about the temp, and constantly sliding the controller back and forth to maintain temp.

As I write this, I am 7 hour in and about 172 meat temp degrees.  The BS temp has been 205 degrees for the entire time.  I am seeing the Guru slowly reducing the temp of the BS now.  It automatically ramps down to within 15 degrees of the set meat temp setting, and then just holds it there.  I set the meat temp to 180 degrees.

I suspect I will pull out the prize about 4:00 p.m. and wrap them up and stash in the cooler for a couple of hours.  Already wrapped up in foil, it will just be a matter of wrapping up in old clean towel and letting them rest.

This post is making me hungry!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

nsxbill

Well, I think I like the brisket sans saran/foil, and will go conventional next time.  The brisket was quite tender, and flavorful, but just didn't have that "something" that I have grown accustomed to.

Better luck next time.....still will enjoy the sandwiches, however!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.