Whole clod

Started by HCT, July 09, 2007, 07:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

I'm sure I read a post about this through my travels here, but I was tuned into BBQU were he smoked a whole clod, 18lb.. At the end of smoking there was a 40% loss of weight, most of the fat I imagine because he didn't trim it at all. Man-o-man did that look great. Sooooooooo, I know what my next smoking project will be. Now to find a market that will get one for me which might be a chore since there are no independent butchers here. Maybe Costco but then again maybe not. Any idea on price per lb. on this piece of meat. Maybe give Habs butcher a call. The quest is on. :P
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

standles

Ok I give....

What is a clod?     I thought it was Cod mispelled but you were consistent.

Seriously asking the question.

Steven

Lefty_Smoker

I believe beef clod is basically the same cut as a boston butt/pork shoulder, but beef, ie beef shoulder.  A whole clod can weigh around 20 lbs, and is usually cut into smaller chunks which are then sold as chuck roasts.  A whole clod will consist of several chuck roasts. 

HCT

Lefty, you pretty much hit it on the head. According to the fella on BBQU, can't remember his name, sometimes I can't remember my name for that matter, the clod is from the shoulder and in it is all different cuts of meat ranginging from flat iron steak to chuck. Averages about 20lbs. He smoked that bad boy for about 18hrs. in his big wood smoker at about 375d. At around 220 in the BS I know it's going to take alot longer but I know I'll have to half it to get it to fit.
I plan on 6 hrs of hickory then let it rip for the rest, prolly just put it in the oven for the rest of the time.
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Looking forward for the results on this one.  With beef so far my results have been great in flavor but a little dry and not as tender as it should be.  I have great results on my side firebox unit with chunk wood though.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

HCT

Well I stopped at 2 of the main supermakets after hand therapy. Both butchers said that getting this cut of meat is a thing of the past. They get their meat already cut up into smaller cuts, trimmed and "customer friendly", about 8lbs. :( at $3.77lb., Angus. One of the butchers gave me a couple of smaller places, one in the 'nearby' area and the other one that Habs uses. Only Habs slaughter house you have to buy the whole 1/4. If my freezer wasn't full with swine I'd consider getting one, around 170lbs. of beef. :o :o :o Hmmmm, last me about 2 weeks. :D :D ;D ;D. Just kidding. Well the search continues, Litchfield Meat Locker here I come. :P
probably the biggest"

SKSmoker

Interesting. It is called Chuck Roll up here. Those things are huge, but incredibly tasty!
Lead by example

Carter

Thanks Standles,

I laughed when I read your question.  I thought I was the only one.

I usually think of a Clod as someone who finds the largest bobber he can find, attaches it to his fishing line with the largest Chub minnow he can find and sends it heaving out into the lake to make a huge splash and scares everybody elses fish away.

I don't think my brother would taste very good smoked. :D

Carter 

nickld

Howdy,  I am a new member.  Got my Bradley original smoker July 2 and love it so far.  Anyway I live in Palo Alto, CA and, believe it or not, found a vendor selling clod at a local farmers market.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum nickld!  I hope you have many good smoked meals and share your experiences.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

standles

Well never to old to learn a few things now and then...  ;D

Thanks al lfor the edumekashun

Gizmo

I guess now I'll have to check around here to see if anyone sells it.  I was thinking this may be an across the pond and wouldn't have to add to the list of things to try so soon.  Oh well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

ohioan

My butcher says he can order one...
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

HCT

The search has come to a close! I can't believe that here in Connecticut I would have such a hard time locating this piece of meat but finally it has. My son works in a small, upper scale french restuarant here in the area. He asked the owner if he could get hold of this cut for me and it will be arriving in about 10 days. He could have gotten it sooner but my son is on his way to Fla. for that time in between. Sooooooo, the wednesday after this one it will be here. Oh yeah, can't wait.
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

Glad you finally found that cut of meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)