• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Websites and briquettes

Started by brderj, July 11, 2007, 12:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brderj

So when I buy my smoker I will probably buy from this site http://www.homeandgardenenterprises.com/product_info.php?products_id=7013&cPath=467_470&osCsid=d5a16f6cdbd056b32afc1fd1aec8cbed  Um, that was entirely to long, I didn't mean for it to do that.   ??? :o  Anyone deal with these guys before?  The people there are very friendly, and I am a customer service junky.  So when I place my order what briquettes should I get first?  I was thinking the special blend as it seems like a well rounded bit of everything, as apposed to something to strong or to light to start off with.  Any experience (that's a stupid question, I know)

Again, thank you very much for your help all....

Jay

manxman

I would start off with something "middle of the road" like oak. I started by buying some oak and was given a five flavour variety pack when I bought my BS, this contains enough bisquettes for 20 hours of smoke production and has 4 hours each of Alder, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, and Special  Blend.

Sure there are fans of special blend but I always remember Chez Bubba (former BS dealer) saying special blend was basically the left over bits that were swept up off the floor or words to that effect. I used the few special blend I got to prime the BS!

I have tried most flavours now, my favourites are apple and oak.
Manxman

brderj

That special blend comment makes since, lol.  I do like Oak, LOVE Apple...but like most hard core wannabe's I do love the stronger stuff as well.  Thanks for the advice...

wicz

Jay,

My favorite BBQ Restaurant in Kansas City only uses hickory wood in their bbq.  When I seasoned my smoker thats what I used.  I have only used hickory and apple so far, and everything has come out great.  You may want to see what your favorite BBQ restaurant uses and season with that.  From what I have read, the special blend is not like on the forum.  I think the reason behind it is special blend is the leftover wood.  I am not 100% sure on this.

Lefty_Smoker

I use apple, hickory, and oak the most by far, cherry would be a distant fourth.

I use apple for all fish, and some cheese.
hickory for all jerky, and some cheese.
Oak and a bit of cherry on most ribs, butts, brisket, etc...

I usually try to keep a 120 pack of each of those on hand.  I do buy other woods such as maple, pecan, alder, etc.. but usually only 48 packs at a time.

brderj

Hickory and Mesquite have always been my favorites for meats...Apple and lighter woods for my fish...but then again it seems that the cleaner burning of these pucks are much better than chunks and chips that have to be soaked and burned.  I am wondering if my tastes will change with this smoker?  I cant wait to give it a shot.

manxman

QuoteI am a customer service junky.

Me too, usually take a good deal of time checking out the best place to buys things and not just base it on price. Poor customer service REALLY p*sses me off!

When do you hope to be able to get your smoker brderj?  ;)
Manxman

brderj

I've been known to spend more money at a place simply because the customer service is good.  This place I mentioned here answered my questions on a Sunday, that was pretty neat.  They were very friendly and helpful with all my questions.

Hopefully I will order it on Friday.  I still have a few questions...its hard to buy something like this without looking at it first, or even seeing one in person. 

manxman

Quoteits hard to buy something like this without looking at it first, or even seeing one in person. 

Yes, I agree, that's what I did and it's not ideal.

At least there are plenty of folk here to answer any queries you may have both before and after buying, the forum was my saviour when I first got mine particularly being on this side of the pond as we are light years behind the US when it comes to BBQ. Learnt such a lot from the people here on the forum.  :)
Manxman

brderj

Everyone here has been very helpful so far, never before has a forum been so highly raved about.  Now I see why. 8)

Oyènkwara

Jay,

These are the folks that I bought my OBS from. That was almost 2 years ago now.

They were very helpful and responded to all my e-mails in a timely manner. At the time I was looking they were running a special where you get a free cover, video and bisquette assortment along with the free shipping. As usual I dragged my feet and the offer expired. When I e-mailed them about this they offered to meet me half way on the extra price.

It seems like it took two weeks or so for me to get my smoker. I emailed them after one week and they said there was a slight delay on Bradley's end. I received it about a week later and all was ok with my shipment. My experience with them was a positive one.

As the others have said, each of the wood flavors have their own purpose. My favorites tend to be apple, maple, and hickory.

Good luck

Tom

brderj

Thanks a lot for the reply Tom.  2 weeks would be perfect, I still wont be home but that will be just fine by me.  How do you like your smoker Tom?  Still use it as much 2 years later?

NePaSmoKer

I use all the woods, easy on the mesquite though  ;D

nepas

Wildcat

I prefer stronger on beef as a general rule, but since I got the BS, I do almost everything with Apple and/or Oak.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Oyènkwara

Jay,

Do I use my smoker as much as when I first got it? Probably not quite as much. When I first got it, it was like a new toy and I was always looking for something to smoke in it.

That said I do still use it often and I must say that the neighbors love it when I fire up the smoker because I share the food! One neighbor loves smoked chicken legs so we have a deal. He buys the legs, I smoke them then we split them. 

A few weeks ago I smoked 6 boston butt's for pulled pork. These were for my son's graduation party. I always get raving comments on the food from the smoker.

Its fun smoking and the food is very delicious!

For something different, try smoking some pistachios! Once you eat one you cannot stop! (search the forum for pistachios for some ideas)

I do like the smoker, I have not had any problems with it (knock on wood!!!) I have also made a temperature switch for it to help control the cabinet temperature. (I found the instructions on this forum, search "love controls" and "temperature switch")

Yes this is a great forum with many knowledgeable members!

Tom