• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question on the Original Bradley and temps.

Started by Macman, July 15, 2007, 11:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macman

I finally have christened the smoker this weekend, we did some wild pacific hot smoked salmon last night and am making some St. Louis cut Spare ribs today.  The question I have it how can you guys get the smoker over 200?  I smokes the salmon last night and got the smoker to about 190 and that's it.  I did the test in the manual and it heats up empty to 150 in the amount of time it says but even today, 2 hours on high with the temp control only is netting me about 180 without opening it.  Is this normal for the original or am I doing something wrong?

BTW, the salmon was done 3 different ways, i used the Bradley recipe on 2 fillets and then we did some chunks with a sweet honey and sweet maple brine from a local smoker here.  Both turned out really well, better cold though as i found the bradley recipe a bit salty for my taste.

Thanks

Andy

Habanero Smoker

First I need to ask what were you using to monitor the cabinet temperature. If it was the gauge on the door, that has been know to be 10°F or more off.

Did you check to see if your heating element was working. Depending on the load, and ambient temperature, my cabinet will get up to 185°F or higher with just the generator. Make sure the slide adjuster it all the way to the right, and look at the heating element; it should be glowing red. If not, check your connections, and make sure the screws that attach the heating element to the porcelain post are snug, but be careful not to over tighten them, or you will crack the porcelain.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Macman

i was using the one on the door. I haven't invested in all the accessories yet... ;D

The unit eventually read 200 deg after the 4 hours but it just got there.  After smoking for 4 hours, i finished them on the BBQ with some sauce. The temp as somewhere around 170-180 according to the door temp for the whole process reaching 200 about 1/2 hour before i took them off.  After I took them out, I left it on and it got up to around 250 or so.

I cracked the door and the heating element was glowing red. the burner was on smoking the whole time.

I was reading elsewhere in the forum that being in a windy area may help.

But, in the end I had thumbs up from the whole family on the ribs. I finished 2 racks with the tequila PC BBQ sauce for my fire eating son...lol

Cheers,

A

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Mac, Did you pre-heat the oven before loading it?  Pre-heating will help out with the initial loading.  I pre-heat with the smoke gen on (no pucks) so that when the box reaches 260 or so, the burner plate will be nice and toasty for when it gets loaded. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Macman

The vent as open, at times, fully.  I think it may have been that i didn't preheat at the first enough cause after i was done, i left it on with the meat removed and it went up to 260 with no issue.  I will have to play with it some more to get comfortable with it. 

One question about the vent though, I understand why you would leave it open with a carbon fuel based smoker to heat up because it would draw more air into the chamber to make the fuel burn hotter, but why would leaving the vent open aid in the electric unit heating up.  Just trying to understand a bit of the how and why to this beast.

BTW, thanks to those of you for taking the time to respond to my post.  I really do appreciate it  ;D.

Thanks to you guys and the forums, my wife actually said tonight that the ribs were a lot better than she had expected them to be. Really juicy and good flavor....
At least the food was a hit, my DW was back at the smoked salmon tonight, she just takes chunks and eats it cold and loves it.   

I can really say it was because of you folks and the well written recipes and instructions throughout this forum... Truly a pot of gold when it comes to the Bradley smoker....

A

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Macman on July 15, 2007, 08:57:30 PM
my DW was back at the smoked salmon tonight, she just takes chunks and eats it cold and loves it.

"Designated Wife"?????

LilSmoker

Hi Macman, i'm with Giz, i think not preheating was your problem, also another tip to get temps up quicker is to use hot water in the bowl, and when the water needs changing use hot again ;)

Regards LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad to hear that your ribs turned out alright.

The vent has several purposes. It adjusts the draft so that the smoke flows over the food; not out of your generator. If you have it too closed the smoke will back out of the generator, along with moisture, and it can mess up your mechanism. You should never leave it fully closed, even after you have stopped applying smoke.

It can also be used to regulate the heat. During most smokes, widening the opening will allow more heat to escape and help lower the heat in the cabinet; using a smaller opening it will help it retain and build up heat.

Another reason that I can think of is to prevent moisture from building up. If you have one of the original BS's, moisture build up will cause liquid to flow out the bottom seal of the door. That is not good because your electronics for heat control are located there. Also foods with a lot of moisture, such as chicken with skin, will keep the temperature of the cabinet down, if the water vapor is not allowed to escape. In addition, the more moisture in the cabinet when you are cooking chicken with skin, the tougher the skin will turn out.

I'm guessing DW means Darling Wife?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Welcome back LS.  How did the fishing trip go?

Macman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 16, 2007, 03:03:29 AM
I'm guessing DW means Darling Wife?

It can mean any of the above depending on the mood. I usually use it to mean dear wife but darling, or any other "d" word could be inserted... ;D

This info is great, I understand now about the moisture better.  That makes so much sense since the steam needs to go somewhere...

A

LilSmoker

Quote from: Wildcat on July 16, 2007, 04:46:51 AM
Welcome back LS.  How did the fishing trip go?

Thanks Wildcat, well in all honesty the trip was a disaster! :o My new truck went pop! on the second day with only 700 miles on the clock  :o

There was a manufacture error with the engine, and it took out the turbo along with some other components, it's more or less sorted now and i will be getting a new replacement truck in September when the new registration comes out.
The whole thing has been a nightmare to say the least, but i must say Nissan have acted very good over the whole situation, i can't say the same for the dealer unfortunately ::)

Anyway as soon as i get the new truck, i'll be off for a hopefully more successfull fishing trip ;D

Anyway thanks for asking my friend, hope your trip went well?

LilSmoker

manxman

QuoteThere was a manufacture error with the engine, and it took out the turbo along with some other components, it's more or less sorted now and i will be getting a new replacement truck in September when the new registration comes out.

WHAT a pain....... did you manage to get any fishing done?

Another shiny new truck in September, at least that is something to look forward too.
Manxman

Wildcat

Sorry to hear about the busted trip.  Mine was alright.  Had to replace the fridge and air conditioner in the RV, but otherwise alright.  Going on another trip, this time to North Georgia this Friday for about 5 days.

LilSmoker

Quote from: manxman on July 16, 2007, 12:09:56 PM
QuoteThere was a manufacture error with the engine, and it took out the turbo along with some other components, it's more or less sorted now and i will be getting a new replacement truck in September when the new registration comes out.

WHAT a pain....... did you manage to get any fishing done?

Another shiny new truck in September, at least that is something to look forward too.

Hi Manx, no sadly i didn't get to do much at all, we were given a hire car, but it was too small, we had to abandon the trip and head home, had to leave some gear behind too.
It really was a nightmare scenario, anyway as you say i have the new truck to look forward to ;) Trouble is, i feel like i had my xmas present and somebody took it away again :'(

Oh well  ::)  ;)

Quote from: Wildcat on July 16, 2007, 02:12:43 PM
Sorry to hear about the busted trip.  Mine was alright.  Had to replace the fridge and air conditioner in the RV, but otherwise alright.  Going on another trip, this time to North Georgia this Friday for about 5 days.

Hi Wildcat, sorry to hear about your fridge and air con, stuff just doesn't seem to last nowdays  ::)

Anyway hope you enjoy your Georgia trip, i'm sure you will  ;)