New smoker to arive tomorrow

Started by mikemaupin, July 18, 2007, 07:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemaupin

Well acording to the tracking # the BS is supposed to arrive on the 19th, I was just wondering is there any (do nots) that I need to know, want to get of on the right foot if I can. Mike.

cingnut

Unbox it.  Assemble it.  Wash it.  Season it.  Wash it again.  Smoke it. 

Careful with some of the edges on the V-pan, it can make some nasty little razor like cuts if you slide a finger or hand along an edge just right.

Consiglieri

This machine is so darn forgiving that there aren't a lot of thou shalt nots.  That said, heres a few that come to mind once you're ready to start you projects.

1.  Make sure the drip pan is peak down, funnelling towards the water bowl.  A nice design trick, but plays with our minds. 

2.  Figure out your total target cooking time and realize that of that total you'll probably be applying smoke for 4 hours or less, depending on cut of meat and personal preference. 

3.  Don't open the door.   Yeah right.  We all open the door, but don't do it too often or you won't have any heat to cook your meat.  Consider placing a clean brick in the bottom pan as a "heat retention" aid, to help the box recover heat once the door is closed again.

4.  Don't let the significant other learn how easy these smoking projects are with the Bradley, or you'll be detailed to other tasks worthy of the "BS" abbreviation.  Fiddling with dials is a must.   Concerned facial expressions are important.  Crossed arms are a nice embellishment.  Make it look like you're working and you've earned a pint or two, and might get away with a few hours of the game or ESPN  while you figure out "your smoking dilemma."

Cheers.
Consiglieri

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

Here are two interesting articles you should read. They contain several helpful hints to get you started.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Okay, it's tomorrow, you should have the box seasoned and what's in the fridge marinating, rubbed down or brining??? ;D ;D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

icerat4

Quote from: Consiglieri on July 19, 2007, 12:28:15 AM
This machine is so darn forgiving that there aren't a lot of thou shalt nots.  That said, heres a few that come to mind once you're ready to start you projects.

1.  Make sure the drip pan is peak down, funnelling towards the water bowl.  A nice design trick, but plays with our minds. 

2.  Figure out your total target cooking time and realize that of that total you'll probably be applying smoke for 4 hours or less, depending on cut of meat and personal preference. 

3.  Don't open the door.   Yeah right.  We all open the door, but don't do it too often or you won't have any heat to cook your meat.  Consider placing a clean brick in the bottom pan as a "heat retention" aid, to help the box recover heat once the door is closed again.

4.  Don't let the significant other learn how easy these smoking projects are with the Bradley, or you'll be detailed to other tasks worthy of the "BS" abbreviation.  Fiddling with dials is a must.   Concerned facial expressions are important.  Crossed arms are a nice embellishment.  Make it look like you're working and you've earned a pint or two, and might get away with a few hours of the game or ESPN  while you figure out "your smoking dilemma."

Cheers.

Enough said here Nice.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

iceman

Don't forget to practice the "Dear in the Headlight" look when asked if you have a spare moment to help with another task while tending to the smoker. ;D

Carter

Icerat, those Penguins are hilarious.

Good Stuff

Carter

mikemaupin

thanks a bunch fellows. The BS should be here within the hour. I dont have anything ready to go yet so I will put it together and season today. I have an eye appt tomorrow so that day is out.
I will go to the store sat after I get a list made up, first thing is to get fresh spices as mine are out of date by a long shot and to me out of date spices are worse than not having any.
When I get everything ready and a bit of practice I want to do some ribs and salmon. BTW I dont have anyone to bother me except my mini Schanuzer Buck and he is a great companion. He's watching for the UPS truck as I type. Thanks agian fellows, Mike