Hot Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwich

Started by Habanero Smoker, July 19, 2007, 02:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I found a Thai Salmon Salad Sandwich recipe on Allrecipes.com, and reworked it for hot smoked salmon.

Hot Smoked Salmon Salad Sandwich
Ingredients:
1 C. loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
2 1/2 Tbs. Soy Sauce or Teriyaki sauce.
2 1/2 Tbs. Lime juice
2-4 Serrano peppers, seeded and minced (or jalapeƱo)
2 tsp. Brown sugar
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste (optional)

1 lb. hot smoked salmon (preferably Kummok's Smoked salmon)

Directions:
Prepare dressing by mixing all ingredients except the salmon. Set aside and allow flavors to meld together for 30 minutes or over night in the refrigerator.

Place salmon into a large bowl, and break into small chunks that are no larger than the chopped tomato. Add dressing and toss lightly until well mixed. Refrigerate and allow flavors to meld for 30 minutes to an hour before using.

To make sandwiches, place equal amounts on mixture onto 6 slices of bread, top with lettuce and another slice of bread.

Notes:
If using a smoked salmon, you may want to use a low sodium soy sauce.

For a stronger fish taste you can use fish sauce instead of soy, but this will also make you salad much more salty.

This salad makes a good base for a salmon pasta salad, though you may need an extra touch of olive oil.

It makes an excellent filling for an omelet.

It also makes a good dip, or a topping for appetizers.

With out the smoke salmon, you also have a pretty good tasting salsa.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

That sounds pretty tasty.  One question though - is that regular basil (for Italian pesto sauce) or Thai basil, aka Holy basil?  Thanks

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

I used regular basil, but I was trying to find lemon basil. I believe any variety of basil will work with this recipe. Just to clear up the basil measurement, you measure the whole leaves first, then chop them; but I don't think you can over do the basil in this recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Thanks for the recipe Habs. I'm in the process of making kummocks salmon so this will be a part of the finished product.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

La Quinta

You could use this dressing on a flank or skirt steak as well. Nice marinade (overnight). You could smoke and then finish on the grill! Nice!

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)