Chicken Brine

Started by wicz, July 20, 2007, 12:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicz

I have a newbie question.  What does Brining do to the chicken?  How do you brine?  Does it help with the skin?  Thank you again for the help.

LilSmoker

Hi, the brine will help ward off bacteria, and has the added bonus of producing nice moist meat.

I always brine chicken and turkey when doing them BS style, flavoured seasoned brines produce great results too.

I would definately recommend brining poultry, the best way to get crispy skin, is to finish off at a higher heat in a regular oven  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Oyènkwara

Check out the recipe site for some good information on brining as well as some recipes:

general Recipes:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

Brining section:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I too generally brine my poultry for flavor and moistness.

Habanero Smoker

Here are two good introductions to brining. The one on the weber site is a little more organized.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

http://www.cookshack.com/barbeque_guide/101/Brining101.htm

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: LilSmoker on July 20, 2007, 01:16:51 PM
Hi, the brine will help ward off bacteria, and has the added bonus of producing nice moist meat.

I always brine chicken and turkey when doing them BS style, flavoured seasoned brines produce great results too.

I would definately recommend brining poultry, the best way to get crispy skin, is to finish off at a higher heat in a regular oven  ;)

LilSmoker

Hey Lil

When is dinner done  ;D

Sounds good though my friend.

nepas

LilSmoker

Haha! hi Nepas, hope all is good with you?

I'll set you a place at the table just in case you show up  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

wicz

Can you brine with boneless skinless chicken breast?

iceman

You betcha ;) :)
Quote from: wicz on July 26, 2007, 08:02:34 AM
Can you brine with boneless skinless chicken breast?

whitetailfan

My favorite commercial product is Hi-Mtn game bird and poulty brine.
Maple based and I use maple pucks.
It is a cure so when you have pink meat, just trust your thermometer  ;)
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

wicz

iceman, Thank you every much for your help.  I know that may have been a dumb question, just want to make sure.  Also, I am only doing a few breasts.  Maybe like 5.  Do I need this much to make my brine?  Or is that for a whole chicken?

* 4 gallons water
    * 3 cups salt
    * 2 cups sugar
    * 1 cup dry white wine
    * 4 tablespoons black peppercorns
    * 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
    * 1 tablespoon thyme
    * 1 tablespoon lemon zest

Tiny Tim

Looks like that volume is for multiple whole birds (2 anyway)...for boneless/skinless breasts, I'd say enough to cover them would be sufficient...put 'em in your container with clean water to cover, pull the pieces, and that's how much liquid you'd need...adjust recipe amounts to suit.

iceman

Divided between two buckets that's enough brine for 4 or 6 whole chickens depending on the size. Cut that at least in half and you can also cut the brine time down to a couple of hours for skinless, boneless breast meat.
Quote from: wicz on July 26, 2007, 09:26:43 AM
iceman, Thank you every much for your help.  I know that may have been a dumb question, just want to make sure.  Also, I am only doing a few breasts.  Maybe like 5.  Do I need this much to make my brine?  Or is that for a whole chicken?

* 4 gallons water
    * 3 cups salt
    * 2 cups sugar
    * 1 cup dry white wine
    * 4 tablespoons black peppercorns
    * 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
    * 1 tablespoon thyme
    * 1 tablespoon lemon zest