Pork Butt - Help

Started by La Quinta, July 23, 2007, 03:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

I'm out of hickory...should I order more and wait to smoke? Or does somebody have an alternate? I'm open to all ideas!

West Coast Kansan

Got Maple ? It is good on all pork.  Oak is a good middle of the road wood also. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

La Quinta

I have maple, I'll try it? Thanks!

La Quinta

Should I use a different rub, maybe with a little more spice, becuase the smoke will be "sweeter"?

iceman

Heck I think I'd try it as is and adjust next time. I don't think it would be to sweet. ;)
Quote from: La Quinta on July 25, 2007, 03:58:35 PM
Should I use a different rub, maybe with a little more spice, becuase the smoke will be "sweeter"?

La Quinta

I was thinking like a Kansas City rub that has a little more sugar then spice? Also, I never have marinated a butt. Is that something I should try? If so anybody got a good recepie? Seems like if the pork spends that much time in smoke...it should be as "wet" inside as possible? (remember I'm new)!

Consiglieri

I wouldn't alter a thing.  If you have maple, pecan, or apple, they're all good on pork.  I think you'll like them.

When I do a butt, sometimes I use hickory and sometimes not.  But I always include some apple.
Consiglieri

La Quinta

Ok! How many apple should I use relative to maple? Equal? It's only a 3 and a half pound butt.

Gizmo

Apple is really good on pork so may I suggest 2 apple to 1 maple. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Na, Maple is better! 2 maple and 1 apple  ;D ;D ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Consiglieri

I think you'll be happy whatever the ratio.

Sometimes I do 1 hickory to 2 apple.

Sometimes apple, pecan, and maple for each hour of smoke.

Sometimes just equal amounts of pecan and apple.

Not much difference in the finish to my taste.  The fruit and nut wood is pretty sweet and mild.  Back in the pre-bradley days, I'd smoke with almond wood chunks.  All produce good results.

Now, if you were talking about the difference between maple and mesquite, then there's a contrast. ;)
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

I use to alternate the flavors of bisquettes, but another member got me using another method of layering the smoke instead of blending. Start with one flavor such as apple, then finish up with a more pungent type, such as pecan. With something like pulled pork it wouldn't make any difference, because you are mixing the bark in with the meat. But with solid cuts, such as brisket, loins, roast and etc; I'm convinced it makes a difference in flavors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

Before I got my smoker, I did pork shoulder on my gas grill with indirect heat and I made silly little aluminum foil bags of hickory chips.  Obviously there was some smoke, but it was definitely limited compared to the Bradley.  They were still delicious.

I'm pretty convinced that Pork Shoulder is virtually mistake proof.  The only key is to cook it to get to that 190+ internal temperature so it shreds up like butter.

Good Luck with your first (or have you done it already since I'm a little late to this party?).

Please post results.

Carter

La Quinta

Smoked the butt... butt (!) not for shredding...gonna do a variety of things with it...first is Cuban sandwiches (gotta make the bread first) then I thought about maybe adding some of it to a nice Jamaican chilli (which is veggie...all beans no meat butt...what the hell..) how much bean chilli can you eat...then maybe turn some into smoked pork nachos...use some south of the border cheeses and the normal "other stuff"...ancho chillies...etc. I'll keep you all posted...I'm a big leftovers freak with imagination!!

Gizmo

Sounds great La Quinta,
For my taste, the only suggestion I would have for you is 1 substitution.... For the Jamaican chili, I would replace the beans with butt.  Could also substitue butt for the veggies as well, but a little variety isn't bad.  :D  :D  :D
Of course we will be seeing some pictures right?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/