• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Requesting the infinite wisdom of this site!

Started by smokmifugotm, August 08, 2007, 03:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokmifugotm

A BIG HELLO to everyone!  I am new to the whole world of smokers.  I look forward to learning so much from this site and one day in the future offering my experience back to others.  That being said, I have some questions I would like to ask.

1.  I guess first and foremost--Is there a need to go with a 6 rack instead of a 4 rack?  So, those of you with 4 racks, do you wish you had more?  Those of you with 6, do you ever need all of them?

2.  If I end up with the 4 rack--How does the digital smoker actually benefit me?  Or does it? 

3.  What will having a timer gain me?  Unless I am mistaken, couldn't you just put a certain amount of pucks in if you wanted a timed amount of smoke?

4.  Will I need to buy a digital thermometer on both the DBS and the OBS?

5.  How difficult is it to set the initial temperature when you are beginning to smoke?  Does it take a great deal of time to do so?

I want to take the time to thank everyone in advance for the knowledge and experience you have taken the time to share with me.  Hopefully, I will be able to offer something back in the future!

TAKE CARE!

Wildcat

1. I have the original in stainless (4 rack).  Have not used any more than 2 racks so far and that was more than enough for 4 people.

2. I found no use for the digital myself, but others on here swear by them.  You could build a PID for a lower cost and apparently it works better.  Personally, I am content without the electronics.

3. Can't answer that one but those that have the digital will probably chime in.

4. I would recommend the Maverick dual probe.  The cabinet gauge is very inaccurate on both models.

5. For the original there is a short learning curve but after a couple of smokes you should get the hang of it.

You will be happy with any of the Bradley Smokers.  Welcome to the forum and keep us informed.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

I have a 6 rack and have maxed it out and could have used more.  I have also only needed 1 rack.  As Wildcat pointed out, depends on how much you want to do.  For Beef Jerky, I have had 10 racks in mine (6 original plus 4 jerky racks inverted).  Could have used the 2 additional but didn't have them and had a few pounds of jerky left over so they went directly into the dehydrator.  Digital gives you an electronic set point.  Other than that, no special deal.  Wildcat is spot on with dual temp probe as you will want to monitor internal temperatures as well as cabinet temperature next to the meet.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

3rensho

I've got an OBS and have never used more than three racks.  But then I don't smoke nearly the volume that a lot of folks here do so, as has been said above, size is a matter of individual needs.  I've added a PID (total cost about $45) and use a single probe Maverick, which I had already.  That is all I need.  PID measures cabinet temp and holds it spot on.  DBS's were not available when I bought my OBS but if I were to do it over again today I'd still stick with the black OBS.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

smokmifugotm;
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I can only provide information about the OBS. I haven't had any experience with the digitals. The answer to your questions depends on your individual needs.

1.) For me the four racks are enough. It is rare that I will use more then three racks at a time, and generally I will only use two. When I am doing thinner cuts of meat, such as trout, salmon, chicken parts (especially wings); if I need more then four racks, I invert racks and stack them on one another to double the capacity.

2) I can't answer that question.

3) I don't know how you would benefit. As you stated, I load the number of bisquettes that I want to smoke with, plus two bubba pucks and an additional bisquette to push the last bisquette off the burner.

4) As Wildcat states, with the OBS there is a slight learning curve in adjusting the temperature. I found that you occasionally you will need to readjust the temperatures, as the food temperature rises. There are devices that you can use to control the cabinet temperatures. I have the Raptor/Guru set up to control my temperatures, many on the board use a PID. A search will give you provide you with a lot of information on both.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

Welcome Smok'm !
I use the black OBS (actually three of them)....I didn't spend any extra on looks and they're all b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l to me.

1. Obviously, I had need for more racks, but 12 racks are now sufficient for me...  ;) ;D  I mostly smoke LARGE batches of wild Alaskan salmon and teach smoking classes, so needed more smokers.
2. Can't answer that one since I don't have/use the DBS
3. The only timer I've needed is a clock....however, I'll likely use a PID when I do the more complex smoking.......
4. Bought three of the Maverick dual probes a few years back, but haven't had the need to use them yet.....
5. Like learning to fly the first couple of times behind the yoke....a little ballooning at first, but then you start geasing it every time...  8)

Best thing to do is just jump on in and start smokin' stuff....the Bradleys are pretty forgiving!

KyNola

Welcome Smokem,
You have gotten lots of information from some real seasoned veterans of the Bradley.  I am new like yourself and opted for the DBS.  4 racks is plenty for me.  I chose the DBS after talking with a friend of mine who is on his third OBS.  Had he not just purchased his latest OBS, he would have purchased the DBS.  I chose it for simplicity sake and to be able to essentially "set it and forget it".  As for the necessity of a temp probe, I would heartily recommend the Maverick ET-73.  Having an accurate reading of the box temp is important to me and I learned that the temp probe built into the DBS is highly inaccurate, sometimes as much as 25-30 degrees high or low.

Either one you choose, you are going to love it and you will appreciate the veterans on this forum.  They are always eager to help and encourage you.  Welcome aboard!

KyNola

Consiglieri

I have the 6r dbs but confess that I have only had it filled to capacity on two occassions over the last 6 months.  While you won't always use all the space, with the 6r at least you have the option.  When we have a rib get together, the extra space is helpful.  9 racks of ribs can be cooked using all six racks.  There's been talk of doubling that capacity by adding inverted racks on top of the other six, but I haven't tried that experiment (yet  ;))

As for the digital vs. original debate, I chose the digital for the set it and forget it ease.  But there's a couple of quirks you need to be aware of.  The temp probe is located lower in the cabinet, below where a lot of your meat will be.  On my unit that means that the temp reading may be a lot higher at probe level than where the meat is, so you have to compensate by (a) monitoring temp with an external probe like the Maverick ET 73, and (b) bump up the dbs temp setting until you reach your desired cabinet temp.  Other quirk is that the digital's maximum cook time (without a reset) is 9hours 40 minutes.  Not really an issue; just flick it off and on and reset the temp at some point.

All in all, I'd buy the 6r digital again.  Hope that helps
Consiglieri

Gizmo

One little modification to Consiglieri great information, on the Digital.  You don't have to turn off the oven to reset the time.  When you need to, or remember, Just press the time button, then press the down and up arrow to reset the time.  The reason you have to press the down, then the up arrow, is the timer will default to the last set temperature but unless you make a change (the reason for down first), the box will not know you wanted a change and will revert back to remaining time instead of a new set time.   ;D

Consiglieri

Thanks giz.  Was typing quicker than I was thinking.  One of the hazards of checking the site from work. ;D
Consiglieri

smokmifugotm

Hey everyone!  Thanks for the input from everyone!  You guys on the forum are great!  I went and bought the OBS today.  I appreciated everyone's input and felt this was the right one for me.  I am going to season my smoker tomorrow.  Then Sunday, I bought 2--2 pound pork tenderloins.  I am going to marinade the one in some stuff a buddy gave me.  The other I am going to inject a bit of apple juice into it and maybe some brown sugar.  These are actually my tentative ideas.  Does anyone else have any better ideas?  What are your thoughts on how long these need to be smoked and cooked?  I also read about putting bacon on the rack above them to take care of any moisture issue.  I am still up for pointers since this is my first time using a smoker.  Thanks again! 

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: smokmifugotm on August 10, 2007, 05:26:21 PM
The other I am going to inject a bit of apple juice into it and maybe some brown sugar.  These are actually my tentative ideas.  Does anyone else have any better ideas?

Make sure you are injecting adult beverages into the game plan as well.....   :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Gizmo

smoke,
Try the canadian bacon recipe from Habanero Smoker on Old's recipe site.  It is awesome.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311

Habanero Smoker

I haven't had much luck injecting pork loin. I admit I may be doing something wrong, but I always end up with dark blotches in the meat and the brine or marinade I injected doesn't seems to distribute itself evenly. After injecting I always let it rest for at least 4 hours, but my results are never any good.

So if it were me, I would make a brine out of the apple juice and brown sugar, using about 1 ounce of salt per quart of cider and brown sugar to taste. Then brine it for about 4-8 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hillbillysmoker

Whatever you decide on will be a great choice.  I have the original in 4 rack and it works well for me.  I also know many with a 6 rack and they too are happy.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes