The Seasons first ducks and my little pets

Started by MallardWacker, October 14, 2004, 09:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

I have been noticing a large amount of Blue Jays and Robins the last couple of weeks and knowing it is getting close for the migrations.  Went over to a lake behind my house and found these Blue Wing Teal and some local geese.

The back 1/3 of my house property is cleared (I own the 40 arces behind also) and we have our private pets in the field nearly every day and evening.  This is a Doe and this years off spring, this pair is our regular that we see most often.  This morning I had 3 pair of does and fawns playing in the feild.  The fawns were chasing the crows as they landed all morning.  It's quite a treat to have these.

<font color="blue">WHITE: Sorry no bucks, at least the larger ones don't come in the feild, maybe late in the evening.  Or we see them around late Jan or early Feb.</font id="blue">

This is truely my favorite part of the year, man I love this place.

Sorry about the image quality.  My boss gave one of those binoculars with a digital camera in it.  It's a bit different to use.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

Very nice Mallard.
Have you been out swatting ducks yet?  What's the best time of year, or when do you do most of your hunting?

I got my licence, but there were no ducks or geese around on my last trip back to the farm - last weekend was Thanksgiving North.

Got a muley already, made jerky and pep sticks for the rest of the hunting season.  Pheasant opens today, but I'm stuck here in the office typing and dreaming[:(]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

White,

All I've been doing is looking.  Last weekend we found some good numbers for this early in the season. Plan to take the boat out this Saturday to a new hole we found to see what it's like. D-Day starts the weekend before Thanksgiving.  I usually hit it pretty hard till Jan.  I sure have a great wife.  Basicly I mind my P's & Q's till duck season then I let it all hang out.  I think she thinks it is some form of therapy for me.  Man she never complains, just if I bring to much dirt in the ol' homestead.  I quit deer hunting about 15 years ago, the folks down here just get to crazy for my liking.  Have a great weekend.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />the folks down here just get to crazy for my liking.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No doubt. Up here, not a season goes by without a story in the paper about some fool who shot a horse or a cow, thinking it was a deer![:(!]

Then, you've got the "I didn't think I needed permission to hunt this woods" gang who I see coming 500 yards away & jump when I finally say something to them when they're within 20 of my position.[:(!][:(!]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Kirk,

I see some of my freinds moved up to your neck of the woods.  It seems that "Arkansas BUCK Fever" means you can shoot it no matter where it is , even if its in a front yard at 3:00am in the morning.  That senerior plays out quite often, in and out of season.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

Yep, actually had the "good" fortune of having one move in right across the street. You know the old saying. <font color="blue">"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man decide to pull the motor of his '72 Nova & tune it up every other week at 7:00 Saturday AM".</font id="blue">

I can smell the fresh scent of burning oil every time he mows the grass. The idiot hasn't met a motor he can't **** up!

He has a snowblower(ya, it belches blue too) & won't do his driveway, just a single path from the front door to the mailbox.

Did I mention they think tobacco is an ornamental lawn plant?

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Awsome hunk of land Mr. Whacker!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

whitetailfan

Geez Kirk,
I never realized that Chevy put out a two stroke motor[:D]
Your neighbour out to put that thing in a museum or something.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

Kirk,

That guy <i><font color="red">has</font id="red"></i> to be from Perry County, Arkansas.  When I moved here I knew I was in trouble when I saw folks cutting pulp wood in their bare feet.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

Man you guys have a great place to live. No where in this county can a person discharge a firearm. Let alone go hunting. Out in the upper part of the bay there is still a very old duck blind. Man do we get the ducks here in winter...I mean to tell ya by the thousands. So many at times they look like a black floating island. The old Gun and Rod club house from where I live was only a couple of miles away as the crow flys. They just tore that place down a couple of years back. I remember as a boy shooting gators on that lake with my Grandfather. Shoot when Mother's 22cal. would go off (behind the house) I knew that tomarrow we were having fired rattle snake.  I bet I've eaten more gator and snake than most eat chicken. Oh well times do move on.

Mind you I no longer care to hunt. Not that I would not if I needed to eat, or had a taste for something that cannot be purchased. So please don't think of me as an anti-hunter.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">That guy has to be from Perry County, Arkansas. When I moved here I knew I was in trouble when I saw folks cutting pulp wood in their bare feet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now we are adults so I tell you that when lived as a boy in Vidalia, Ga (7th grade) I got the biggest scare when I was with a group of older guys and one said... Man I sure would like to get a piece of that cock. Several agreed. Now what they were talking about was that girl across the street.  While there have been many times, I sure in all of our lives, we could call a woman a something or other, I just about bet cock never came to your mind!

Great pictures, and 40 arces to boot! I don't know if I like you any more~~~LOL  J/K of course.  
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Olds,

This is a great state and truly wonderful people.  I was amazed when I first moved here that one day as the wife and I was traveling down the road, all of the sudden she tells me to "pull over and be respectful".  I have never been anywhere when you see a funeral procession coming you pull over to the side of the road in respect and let them pass.  The first year I was here both of my wife's grandparents passed away, I have never seen an outpouring of help, concern, and FOOD in my life from people you will never see again.

BUT, I do understand your statement Olds, as much as I love these folks, there are truly some strange and pitiful people with the weirdest understanding and thought processes.  Sometimes I really don't think the family tree forked in some cases.  The vast waist land of ignorance is very evident here; there is no premium on it either.  It is so sad to see people stuck for generations in this mire.  I'm somewhat of a guy that believes that you make your own bed, but when you have generations of bad bed making the future generations are really sunk before they even get out of the gate.  There is no political party that can solve this.  Heavens, both party's help keep them there, at least at times it seems that way.  It sounds like I describing everyone that way, of course that is not true.  We have one of the leading children's hospitals in the nation with the UofA being one of the better research universities around.  And FAMILY does mean something here.

Well that is enough of my pontificating for now.  That's as political as will get.  Hay: I still want some friends around here.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />And FAMILY does mean something here.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

AND good, old-fashioned manners. One thing I have noticed on our winter-time excursions south, is the manners.

Walk into McDonalds, or virtually any store & this is what you hear:

NORTH: "Cunnitakeyerorder?"
SOUTH: "Yes sir, how can I help you today?"

Not that I like being referred to as "sir" since I'm not quite 40, but there is respect for the customer & pride in the job they do.

BTW, I'm still pissed off with the little tart in the Rochester, IN Buger King that gave me the senior's discount two years ago![:(!]

Kirk