Inaugural Smoke Photos

Started by Doc Waters, August 21, 2007, 12:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Waters

As promised, here are a couple of photos of the first weekend of smoking with my new DBS.

Rib Tips
Saturday I did about 5.5 lbs of pork rib tips using a Dr. BBQ recipe. Used my favorite rub and placed them in a 250 degree smoker for 4 hours. Smoked them in hickory and cherry for the first two hours. After the 4 hours I  removed them and cut them into pieces. Put them into foil loaf pans (got a total of 5 pans - each pan holding two good servings) with a 2-1 mixture of bbq sauce and apple juice (in this case I mixed 4 cups of bbq sauce with 2 cups of apple juice). Then covered them tightly with foil and put them back in the DBS for another hour. We ate one pan and wrapped the other 4 in foil and put them in the freezer for another day.

Ribtips before saucing them:

Pork Butts
Followed the excellent advise on this forum. Slathered and rubbed a 8.5 lb and and 6.5 lb butt the night before. Put them into the smoker about 7:30pm at 220-240. Smoked with cherry & hickory for 4 hours. Turned them down to 210, sprayed them with apple juice before hitting the hay. At 8am they were 165 as predicted. Sprayed with apple juice every hour. At 2pm and 3pm I glazed them with a mixture of Presidents Choice Habanaro/Tequila BBQ sauce (for heat) with Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce (for sweet), thinned with apple juice. At 4pm the big butt (on the lower rack) hit 190 and I ftc'd it with apple juice and moved the smaller butt to the lower rack. About an hour later it was ready for the ftc too. At 7pm I shredded them both and enjoyed some great pulled pork on a bun. Bagged the rest and froze them.

Sorry for the poor photo, but I accidentally erased the last few photos on my camera. Hey, it's late and I'm not thinking too straight.  :P

Anyways, hope you get the idea.

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great!

Doc 

Habanero Smoker

The photos are good enough to see that you made some great food.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Way to go Doc!  If you want any of it taste tested, send to me and I will send you the results and any left overs!  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

Looking very good DW!  ;) :D
Manxman

NePaSmoKer

Looks very good Doc

nepas  ;D

Artmiester

Hey Doc,
YU da MAN! I see you really gave 'em the full treatment. Fantastic! Can I get in on the taste testing too? You can tell from the photos this is one of your first smokes from the condition of the cabinet. Smoke on, dude! 8) 8) 8) ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

begolf25

iceman

Good looking meat there Doc. Just had breakfast and now I'm hungry! Great job.

Doc Waters

Thanks guys. You're all invited over anytime you're in the neighbourhood.  :)

Yes, I'm glad to have the photographic evidence to prove that at one time you could still see metal on the walls of the smoker. I'm expecting to change that fast.

I have a good friend who has owned a Bradley original for over a year now. He's a great chef. Writes a cooking column for the local newspaper. I asked him how he liked his Bradley. He said, "Does a great job, but I don't use it much. It takes too long to clean all the racks, trays and especially the walls."   :P ;D

Doc

Consiglieri

You might tell him the stuff on the bradley walls is "seasoning"... and that he probably doesn't want to clean that stuff off.

Now, if he's talking about the walls of his house, that's a different problem with different solutions.  he could (heh, heh) move the smoker outdoors... or he could duct the vent to outdoors like owrstrich does...

AS for the food, looks top-notch.  Had to pull out some of my frozen reserves to deal with the hunger pains.
Consiglieri

Doc Waters

Quote from: Consiglieri on August 21, 2007, 06:06:08 PM
You might tell him the stuff on the bradley walls is "seasoning"... and that he probably doesn't want to clean that stuff off.

That's almost verbatim exactly what I told him. He was relieved. I'll have to check back with him and see if he's been doing more smoking. I told him to think of it as a badge of honor.  ;D

QuoteNow, if he's talking about the walls of his house, that's a different problem with different solutions.  he could (heh, heh) move the smoker outdoors... or he could duct the vent to outdoors like owrstrich does...

That's just about the coolest thing I've seen. I was showing the wife the photos and trying to convince he we should enclose the garage and vent the smoker. I also liked all the shelving and counter space. Could build a real production room! 

QuoteAS for the food, looks top-notch.  Had to pull out some of my frozen reserves to deal with the hunger pains.

Thanks. Actually, I've already broken into my freezer supply, too. Let's face it, one day of eating Q just doesn't cut the mustard! 

Doc