Jalepeno Poppers Help?

Started by La Quinta, August 25, 2007, 10:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Hi all...gotta a question...I have been trying to make these suckers for years and have never...and I mean never...been successful. How do you get the batter (or anything else for that matter) to stick to the skin. Too slick. I've tried everything and can never get them to come out even remotely like what you can buy. Also...never tried to smoke them...I assume a cold smoke??? HELP?

Wildcat

I have never smoked them although there are some on here that do.  May find it in the recipe section.  I love the poppers myself and am also curious on the HOW.  I assume that the skin needs to be removed.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I've tried scoring them...blanching...pressure cooking...(but they get a little mushy)...all kinds of stuff...never come out right??? Seems like for a little stuffed pepper...this should not be so difficult for a home cook? Or...there is always the possibility...that I'm an idiot...and someone out there does these all the time with no issue!!! I'd love that!!

Gizmo

Not speaking from experience here but can you make your batter thicker?  I would think that would help it stick.  If not, then try adding glue.  I mean honey.  It will sweeten it up though, but honey seems to stick to everything.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

It is generally a multi-step process. Wet the jalapenos by dunking them in milk then coat with flour or corn starch until they are well coated. Let them sit for about 10 minutes and then dunk them into your batter.

Or roll again in milk and then roll them in bread crumbs until well coated. Let them dry for about 10 minutes before frying or cooking.

I never tried smoking anything that has a batter or bread coating, so I can't help you there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

I was thinking that maybe smoking them for "a bit" would make the skins a little more plieable (I'm sure that's not the correct spelling)...but...I think the skins need to be softened before applying..well...anything?

MoSmoke

I did a quick Google search and found these recipes.
I haven't tried either of them but like you I've had poor results getting the batter to stick to the jalepenos.
One recipe says to boil them first, then chill in ice water.
But both make mention of eggs whites being whipped in a copper pan.

http://www.food-rules.com/Recipes/POPPERS.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~lotsofinfo/A5poppers.htm

Good luck and please post your results with any recipe that you find.
Not necessarily the one above.
And maybe more importantly if the ones you try work or not.

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

La Quinta

Been there done it...I don't know...haven't tried the Habs recipe of dunking them in milk? Maybe the acid in milk softens the skins? Maybe...buttermilk would be faster? (More acid?) Thanks MoSmoke...I'll try your links and see if it works?

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure if it is the acid or types of proteins in the milk. I've tried egg whites and that did not work as well as the milk and flour.

If that doesn't work, then I will guess it is the type of wax they are coating the peppers with. To remove the wax you can purchase some of that vegetable/fruit wash, but they are mainly citric acid, so I would think that lemon or lime juice would work just as well to remove the wax. Or better yet, you may want to try removing the wax, first to see if that is what causing the problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

I have some limes in the yard...I'll try that..thanks!!

NePaSmoKer

Smoked Armadillo Eggs  ;D

Sausage
jalapeno peppers
mozzarela cheese

Seed the peppers remove stem put sliced cheese into pepper. Take the sausage and form around pepper making sure the entire pepper is wrapped. Smoke at 175 with mesquite or hickory for 1.5/2 hrs. Small amount of water in the pan and vent 1/4 open.

Enjoy with your fav adult beverage like Mezcal  :o

nepas

La Quinta

So...ground sausage...do you season it? or no...because the peppers are so "warm"? I assume salt and pepper but what else?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on September 11, 2007, 08:34:41 PM
So...ground sausage...do you season it? or no...because the peppers are so "warm"? I assume salt and pepper but what else?

I use fresh ground sausage with salt/pepper, sage, but if you wanted you could use jimmy dean mild.

nepas

La Quinta

I just made some breakfast sausage the other day...I slice off the casings and use that... thanks!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on September 13, 2007, 12:30:20 PM
I just made some breakfast sausage the other day...I slice off the casings and use that... thanks!

Yes take the sausage out of the casing and  wrap it around the pepper.  Did you make the sausage yourself.

nepas