• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Shoe leather jerky

Started by smokergirl, August 27, 2007, 05:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokergirl

Well I got my beef sliced by the butcher, brined overnight (hubby convinced that it looked really thick) Butcher assured me that whilst drying it would thin and shrink- Did it? No No No. Anyone with thickness measurements and various meat types for my next venture greatly anticipated. I had used a brine suggested by Gizmo- so yeah I have great tasting shoe leather.

Look forward to member input- Doing pork ribs next! Any thoughts?
This being a smoker rookie is getting my mojo down. Hubby has a good laugh to tell the guys at work though!

My dogs love me for the big bag of TREATS too.

Thanks all
Smokergirl

Tiny Tim

How thick was it?  I used either Eye of Round or Bottom Round (I think Bottom) and sliced it 1/4" thick, and it was just about perfect for jerky...a little salty for my taste so I'll be either soaking or using a wet marinade/rub next go round.

aha638

I use Top Round sliced 1/4" thick and marinade for 30 minutes in my Food Saver marinade tubs.

Al

smokergirl

I think it was a bit thicker than 1/4 inch but not much. the guy recommended outside round. I marinated overnight, used 2 hours of whiskey jack and cherry pucks at 170F. Although I did hve water in my bowl (someone posted not to) and vents were about 1/2 open.

acords

I would always have water in the bowl while smoking.  After smoking, I remove water bowl and vent wide open to aide the drying process.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

MRH

I have always cut my deer meat for jerky about 1/4 inch thick also.  I try to keep a close eye on it and remove it maybe a little soon, but it has't been too tough  chewing , except a few pieces. I know that you are probably looking for a more specific answer, but you will get a feel for it just keep a close watch when it gets close to done.

Mark

Gizmo

Chin up Smokergirl.  I have a few jerky recipes I'll never try again.  Again, there are no failures in cooking, just learning experiences and recipes you will never repeat.  First dry cure using Morton's tenderquick did not get a thorough rinsing afterwards (I had some help in the prep and my instructions were not explicit enough).  The jerky turned into a product I should have sold as salt licks for cow pastures but thought it was too cruel to have them use themselves and tossed the jerky instead.  I was hoping it would be good for a stew base but that didn't work out either.

Toughness IHMO has more to do with the cut of meat.  I have never tried meat tenderizer but that may be something to research.  I use Top Round pretty much exclusively.  At one point while my dad was alive, I would slice the meat paper thin.  His false teeth could not chew through the normal jerky and so paper thin he was able to tolerate after cutting it into small pieces.  He loved the jerky too much to give it up on a little chewing issue.  I would give them the meat and they always used the wet marinade such as you did except my mom would use low sodium soy sauce.  That which I kept, I tended to over dry and it would be brittle but certainly chewable with it being that thin.  I have been slice the meat between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick and don't dry it out as much.  The meat is much more plyable now and not as tough.  Top round is lean so there is less trimming (or non at all for what I buy), and I have not had any that was too tough to chew.

Now for the challenge.  Buy to pieces of meat.  Top round for yourself.  Bottom round (outside cut) for the hubby.  Challenge hubby to a throwdown.  Was going to say something else but "off" and "jerk" don't go well on this forum without a lot of interesting comments.  They will be forthcoming anyway. :D  :D  ;) 

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

The last few lines were very funny!!! Just chiming in at the end of this! Smokergirl...you should taste my pastrami...I'm sure they made Jesus's sandals out of it! Sorry...I'm Catholic...we're allowed to say these things...

Stickbowcrafter

Oh well, it's all a learning experience. Good luck on the next round.

-Brian

NePaSmoKer

I use london broil, sometimes briskit trimmed real good. I have a jerky slicer that makes perfect 1/4" thick slices.

Its a learnign curve type of thing  ;D

nepas

sherlock

Is there actually such a thing as a jerky slicer?

Wildcat

It is called a butcher.  ;D  Seriously, I really do not know.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sherlock on September 24, 2007, 07:53:21 AM
Is there actually such a thing as a jerky slicer?

Yes there is.

nepas

Wildcat

NePa, that looks really cool.  8) Can you provide more info on it?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wildcat on September 24, 2007, 09:00:03 AM
NePa, that looks really cool.  8) Can you provide more info on it?

I have one it makes perfect 1/4" slices. I have the motoer on it too.

The Manual Jerky Slicer converts any cut of meat into perfect jerky strips in a few seconds. A series of stainless steel blades cuts up to 15, 1/4" thick slices ideal for drying in the oven, dehydrator or smoker. Makes easy work of even the toughest meat. Constructed of heavy-duty stainless steel that's easy to clean and won't rust or corrode. The opening is 4-1/2" x 1-1/4".
Add this easy-to-install Motor to the Manual Jerky Slicer, and dramatically cut the time and effort it takes to slice jerky strips – no more turning a crank handle. Just feed the meat into the unit and the motor will do the work for you. The two-speed motor can run at 35 rpm or 54 rpm. Included chrome-plated steel adapter and bracket clean up easily.

$199 at my favorite store  ;D  Slicer/motor combo $229
nepas