Uses for leftovers

Started by PAsmoker, October 21, 2004, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAsmoker

I was just curious as to what you folks do when you have a bunch of leftovers from the smoker.  Here's what I just had to do.  Forgive the lenghty post.

At the beginning of October, a bunch of my fellow cabin members & I planned on going up to the cabin for the opening of PA's archery deer season.  I was in charge of the food/cooking/beverages dept, so I decided that we were going to eat well.  Before I left I smoked up a big ol' turkey (brined first) & a 13lb brisket.  I just planned on reheating everything during the week.  Turns out, only my brother & I made the trip.  That left the two of us with a lot of meat to eat.

To reheat the turkey, I made a bed of charcoal in the grill & slowly reheated the bird.   The charcoal added a nice flavor.  We ate what we could and then decided to strip the carcas of the remaining meat.  I then boiled off the carcas for an hour or so with onions, peppers, fresh garlic, salt & pepper to make a whale of a broth.  The next day, I got out the broth & added meat & noodles.  WOW!  Smoked turkey noodle soup.[:D]  Probably the best soup I ever ate.  Definitely recommended as a use for leftovers.

With the brisket, we ate samiches.  We had a lot of it left.  When I got home, I figured I'd try a chili with it.  After slicing & chopping the brisket, I added red kidney beans (yeah I know,  a lot of people do not consider chili as having beans, but hey, sue me), onions, peppers, tomatos, and a little garlic.  Again, a great use for leftover brisket.  Nice & smokey.

What do you do?
The Original PAsmoker

nsxbill

I just love brisket, and the primary outcome is to use for sandwiches.  I did 20  pounds yesterday.   Wife not real fond of my learning how to smoke brisket outcomes, but the last was absolutely fantastic.  I brined the brisket in some Italian dressing for 2.5 days.  I put a haze of rub onto the meat to give it a little spice and heat, then into the smoker-no peek for 14hrs at 205.  It was a bit cold outside.  I took everything out at 175 degree internal and wrapped and foiled.  

Had a little at 9:00a.m. and it was great when I took it out of the Coleman cooler after a 2 hour rest.-tender, like butter!  I took one of them down to inlaws to drop off the wife for about 4 days (She just had surgery).  Wife even agreed it was my best brisket thus far.  In-laws, not having suffered through my first couple of attempts thought it was the best they even had.  M.I.L. just kept going back for another little slice...

I came home and sliced up paper thin with my electric circlular meat slicer.  I vacuum packed the sliced brisket and froze half of it.  Sandwiches lunch and dinner for the next three days.  Soft sour dough rolls, a little tangy hot dipping sauce, some salad (So I can tell the wife I am having something healthy), and some Alaskan Amber Beer...OUCH!  Sure glad that Alaska sends more that Salmon down her to California!

That's what I do with the brisket....It is my favorite.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Leftovers?  Never heard of them.[:D]

I did read a recipe I think in S&S for brisket hash.  I also make ABT's with chopped brisket or butt, chili, just use food saver for a rainy day or when you just don't feel well, stew.
With chicken:  chicken salad, chicken and dumplins', chicken to put in a green salad, maybe ABT's, food saver, brunswick stew.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Anytime we have LO's, I vacu-suck them & freeze. They're great additions to chili, stew, eggs, noodles, you name it. Get creative. Almost any recipe with a fair amount of moisture that calls for some meat will benefit. You get all the great flavor without the time expenditure.

Just remember, you're trying to warm it, not cook it. I've taken LO prime rib that I had previously chunked & frozen, thawed it & dropped it into a barley stew for the last 5 minutes. Absolute heaven![:p]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

Honestly never had to try and use up anything that's come out of the smoker.  If I have left over butt, or roast, I've just frozen it and eaten it later as it was designed.  Never had the opportunity to try anything out for soup or chile.  Problem is that the only chicken I ever did was out at the cabin in the dead of summer and we were not interested in boiling for soup, that is something I've got a hankerin' to try with winter now here - snowing last 3-4 days.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigRed

Chez!

How do you get left over prime rib!!!!! I want to come to your house!!
Smoked Prime rib needs the sheriff's protection at my place.

BigRED

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
<br />Chez!

How do you get left over prime rib!!!!! I want to come to your house!!
Smoked Prime rib needs the sheriff's protection at my place.

BigRED
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">When you cook up some 200 pounds of meat total and the participants are way too willing to hog down the first stuff out (sausage, ribs, chicken, pre-smoked butt in the crockpot, etc.), by the time the prime rib comes out, they're either too full or too drunk to care, sometimes both.[:D]

I'm not complainin', to the warrior comes the spoils![:D][:p][;)]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />Honestly never had to try and use up anything that's come out of the smoker.  If I have left over butt, or roast, I've just frozen it and eaten it later as it was designed.  Never had the opportunity to try anything out for soup or chile.  Problem is that the only chicken I ever did was out at the cabin in the dead of summer and we were not interested in boiling for soup, that is something I've got a hankerin' to try with winter now here - snowing last 3-4 days.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">WTF, that's the great part about the vacu-sucker, or even ziplock bags if you don't try to stretch it too far time-wise. Toss the carcass in a bag, freeze it & wait until winter to do your "food of love" thing.

Boil the carcass with some veggies & spices, remove the leftover meat & discard the bones, strain the stock & add whatever you want. Toss in the LO chicky meat for the last few minutes & you'll have a dish that warms you to the soul and everybody thinks you spent all weekend making it!

Mmmm. Just thinking about it, since it's getting colder here too, (we've had a frost[:D]) I just might have to make up a batch of 4-C this weekend. (Chicken, corn & chipoltle chili.)[:p]

Kirk