• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First time tips for pulled pork??

Started by Griff, August 29, 2007, 04:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griff

Just curious if I could get some pointers on pulled prok for a newbie looking to expand his horizons over labor day weekend. 

Any tips on the size of the boston butts?

rub? 

Internal Temp I should shoot for?

Box temp I should try to achieve?

Hours of smoke? 

Can I smoke 2 at once (apporx 5-8 lbs each) ??

Thanks in advance for any tips you all can provide!!!

Griff

Wildcat

5 to 8 pounders are fine.
I either use Iceman's rub or simply salt, pepper, garlic, and onion.
I shoot for 190 meat temp with the box around 210 or less.
4 hours smoke - I use apple.
You CAN smoke multiple butts - fat side up.
Spray with apple juice periodically.

Good luck and keep us informed, preferrably with photo's.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

MoSmoke

Griff,
Welcome to the forum. Wildcat has it pretty well nailed.
Low on the box temps and shoot for 190 to 195 on the butt.
Be prepared for a long time in the box probably about 16 hours for two 8 pounders at the 210 temp.
Then a couple hours of FTC, Foil, Towel and Cooler.
Figure out what time you are going to serve the feast then back off to detrmine the start time.
The FTC can be used as a cushion if it's done earlier than expected.
Also, there is a phenomenon called the plateau where the meat temp will sit around 160 degrees for up to four hours, then start climbing again towards the 190 mark, don't get nervous when the temp stalls.
If you're sleeping you won't notice it, if you're awake, have a cold one.

It will turn out great.

Share your results.

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

Consiglieri

I've had good luck in the DBS with the cooking technique described in the link below.  Recipe-wise, they all seem to put out a good finished product, just a matter of what you're looking for.

Here's Icerat's overnight advice (and thanks again, Mr. Rat): http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4528.msg39690#msg39690
Consiglieri

Griff

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it and will get some photos.  One last question, Consig left the link to Icerat's post, and it mentions mustard.  I assume just plain old yellow mustard?  Also, do you put it on before the rub or after the rub?  I guess that is two questions!!  Thanks again and have a great Labor Day weekend.

Griff

MoSmoke

Yes, plain yellow old yellow mustard. Slather it on, as they say, before you put the rub on.
It helps the rub stick to the butt and you won't taste the mustard at all when the butt is finished.
Pork rules.............

Enjoy

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

Consiglieri

You can use plain old yellow mustard, but there are many recipes I've found a mustard slather recipe (Baron's Special Sauce) that I like and keep stored in the fridge (from Championship Barbeque, Paul Kirk):

1 generous C firmly packed light brown sugar
1t Kosher salt
1t white pepper
one 12 oz can beer, allowed to go flat
1 32 oz jar ordinary yellow mustard
2T Tabasco, or other Louiiana hot sauce

The book mentioned above has 26 recipes for mustard slathers, some that look pretty exotic to me.  Have to admit that before I started smoking, the whole idea of a mustard slather seemed pretty exotic to me.
Consiglieri

begolf25

Welcome to the board Griff,

Looks like you have all the tips you need already.  I would recommend picking up the book Smoke & Spice.  It has some great recipes.  My favorite for pulled pork is The Renowned Mr. Brown.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

Good luck!

Bryan