• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hey NePas....

Started by Mr Walleye, August 30, 2007, 01:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I know you have one of the Cabela's dehydrators. I was curious if it was the 80L or the 160L model and also was interested in anything else you had to say about it such as drying time with a full load of jerky.

I did notice on their site there is conflicting information as to the size of the heating unit in them. On this page it indicates both sizes have a 1600 watt heated.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat570005&id=0019202515819a&navCount=8&podId=0019202&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=7IS&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat570005&hasJS=true

And on this page it indicates the smaller unit has a 1200 watt heater and the larger has 1600 watt heater.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?cmView=full&type=pod&id=0019202

If your is the 80L unit do you know which size heating unit it has?

Thanks
Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

dick621

Mike,  I just bought the 80 and it says it is 1600 watts and the parts list has the same part number for both the 160 and the 180.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Mr Walleye

Thanks Dick

What's your opinion on the unit?

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Same thing Mike
1600 on mine too 80L

nepas

NePaSmoKer

I have been through many dehydrators, from the round ones, eqi-flow's, excaliburs and the Cabelas beats em all. My eqi-flow takes around 9.5 hrs to 11 hrs for a full unit, around 10 pnds. The Cabelas cut it down to 7 hrs and i can do just under 13 pnds.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Wow... 13 lbs!

I didn't realize it would hold that much. Have you tried doing much else in it? I have never done tomatoes but would also like to make something along the lines of sun dried tomatoes.

Mike

dick621

I havent really done enough yet to know for sure, but think its going to be everything I hoped for.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

NePaSmoKer

If you do things that will shrink alot you will need the tray covers. Food grade FDA approved that sit on each rack. They are small 1/8" square holes. I use them when i do banana chips, chunk style jerky, ancho peppers and the like.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Thanks Guys!

What are the openings in the standard racks? Are the racks metal with chrome plating?

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 30, 2007, 06:24:31 PM
Thanks Guys!

What are the openings in the standard racks? Are the racks metal with chrome plating?

Mike

My racks are 3/4" square coated. And they have not peeled at all.

nepas

tsquared

Mr. Walleye--you won't believe how good your dried tomatoes will be. We do a whole batch every year and they are unbelievabley sweet and tasty all winter long.
T2

Mr Walleye

Thanks again Guys!

I think I may have to order the 80L unit. They appear to be very well constructed. I have had a few different dehydrators but none of them were that good.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Hey guys.... one more question.

How is the unit for cleaning? I see it has some sort of drip tray, is this helpful?

Mike

Mr Walleye

Holy crap guys!  >:(

I just tried to order it. I thought great, they have it on sale for $249, so I run through the online order, everything looks good, get to the shiping selection and I select surface, it comes back and says it's too big for surface, I change it to internation air and my bill is $485.96!!! Needless to say I guess I won't be getting it.  >:(  >:(  >:(

Man that sucks!

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 31, 2007, 11:47:12 AM
Holy crap guys!  >:(

I just tried to order it. I thought great, they have it on sale for $249, so I run through the online order, everything looks good, get to the shiping selection and I select surface, it comes back and says it's too big for surface, I change it to internation air and my bill is $485.96!!! Needless to say I guess I won't be getting it.  >:(  >:(  >:(

Man that sucks!

Mike

Yeah Mike its a pretty good size box.

nepas