Anybody ever tried...

Started by La Quinta, September 01, 2007, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

To smoke hard boiled eggs? I mean hell...they get pickled...why do I think smoked deviled eggs (with cold smoked salmon) and plenty of horseradish in the mix would be good? Paprika is smoked...that's the traditional topping....I'll fess up...making some more nuts and while I have the smoker on for just a half an hour am desperately looking for something other then potato skins to put in while I have a short (very short) smoke time...ideas please? Got plenty of meat already either dried or frozen...so...? Veggies? Eggplant???

Gizmo

I'd go for the smoked deviled eggs.  Never thought of it before but now you reminded me I haven't had regular deviled eggs for quite some time.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I like deviled eggs...everyone has their own recipe...but maybe not smoked? they're a nice last minute thing when you get invited to a party...or like in our house...when we host a party and something we thought would be great comes out like...crap!!!..maybe just smoke the whites (for a short time)and leave the yolk filling as "normal"? I don't know...thinking out loud...(drives my husband up a wall!!!) :)

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on September 01, 2007, 03:45:49 PM
I like deviled eggs...everyone has their own recipe...but maybe not smoked? they're a nice last minute thing when you get invited to a party...or like in our house...when we host a party and something we thought would be great comes out like...crap!!!..maybe just smoke the whites (for a short time)and leave the yolk filling as "normal"? I don't know...thinking out loud...(drives my husband up a wall!!!) :)
I like that idea. The smoked eggs we did for one of my classes was something along that line. I smoked hard boiled eggs with different wood and different times to show how time and wood changes flavors. Of course I made deviled eggs out of each batch afterwards. Dang tasty.

Wildcat

I wonder if you made deviled eggs the regular way and fry some home smoked bacon until grisp, the grind to almost a powder and sprinkle on top of the eggs would work.?  I have had caviar on top of deviled eggs and that was good sp why not bacon?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

There should be plenty of posts on smoked hard boiled eggs, I believe there is even one for quail eggs. I would provide links, but I don't have time to do a search right now. I know I've posted on smoking both hard boil and pickled eggs. Smoked eggs are good, smoked pickled eggs; not so good. I believe Mallard Wacker has posted on making devil smoked eggs. I believe he chops two or so smoked eggs and mixed then with the yokes of non-smoked hard boiled eggs for the filling. I've used smoked eggs for devil eggs, but they do not look too appealing presented that way. Mallard Wackers recipe is a better way to go. Prior to smoking you can brine the hard boiled eggs for a little extra flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteI believe there is even one for quail eggs.

I have smoked hard boiled eggs (both hen and quail eggs) and to be honest was disappointed with the outcome and did post a not very positive comment on the forum.

However devilled smoked eggs may be better, I tried the smoked eggs with one or two meals but the eggs were pretty much eaten as they came out the smoker which was a mistake!

Best bet would be to try incorporating them in some other recipe such as devilled IMHO. ;)
Manxman

NePaSmoKer

I smoked some HBE.

Smoked for 20 mins at 150* then into a hot (ancho chili's) vinegar solution to set a couple days mmmmm mmmmm good.

nepas

HCT

I some some also. Not the greastest looking egg after it's done, a bit yellowish from the smoke. Also the white is a little rubbery. Aside from that they tasted pretty good. I'll try NePa's soak in hot vinager next time, sounds good.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

You also may want to consider using a pickle solution instead of streight vinegar. I had posted a few pickled egg recipes but can't find them on the board. You will find that the smoke flavor infuses into the pickle solution. But a simple search on the internet will turn up a ton of recipes for pickled eggs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dalby Spook

I've got to say smoked HBE is one of my top favorites. I do 4 hours cold with oak. They should be a dark amber. Leave to rest overnight then chop and mix with mayo.
A word of caution. Overindulging will result exessive methane production. You have been warned!
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

Gizmo

Quote from: Dalby Spook on September 05, 2007, 04:29:32 AM
exessive methane production. You have been warned!
Now can that be bottled and sold?  With the so called shortage and over pricing these days, maybe this can help the supply to reduce the over pricing.  Give OPEC a run for the money. ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Dalby Spook

Or maybe an alternative car fuel. Prehaps a "direct injection" system for my Land Rover?
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

La Quinta

What did I start here? :) Boys will be boys....

iceman

Quote from: La Quinta on September 10, 2007, 01:51:32 PM
What did I start here? :) Boys will be boys....
I guess I better not start with the "Go ahead and pull my finger" jokes. :D :D ;)