Wood question

Started by Ontrack, September 18, 2007, 06:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I live 26 miles from the Culinary Institute of America (CIA). On Saturdays they offer a variety of food enthusiast courses to the general public. They have a campus somewhere in California. It's called their Greystone Campus, but I don't know if they offer courses to the general public. The last couple of years they have been offering a "Barbecue Boot Camp" which lasts a week. If they offer it next year I may go.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ontrack

That sounds fun, Hab. However, I live in Virginia, so I probably won't be able to make it...

Ontrack

I really thought this subject would get more feedback, but as I said earlier, I guess I'll raid the wife's purse and order several different flavors myself. That's the only way I will know if I can tell the difference. Heck, with a little planning, this could end up being the last bash of the summer. Different meats, different smokes, blindfolds, cattle prods, adult beverages...only problem, my friends are more burned out than I am.
Anyhow, it definately has possibilities!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Ontrack on September 20, 2007, 05:43:39 PM
I really thought this subject would get more feedback, but as I said earlier, I guess I'll raid the wife's purse and order several different flavors myself. That's the only way I will know if I can tell the difference. Heck, with a little planning, this could end up being the last bash of the summer. Different meats, different smokes, blindfolds, cattle prods, adult beverages...only problem, my friends are more burned out than I am.
Anyhow, it definately has possibilities!

I thought it would generate more interest also. You never know what topic would take off. If you do purchase different flavors, I would purchase either apple or maple. I feel this will give you the best contrast in the difference in taste from hickory.

By the way, every time I have attended one of these classes there is always one or two couples who have traveled a distance. The farthest person I know of traveled from Wisconsin, to W. Virginia then took the train from there with his daughter and son-in-law. The people that travel a long distance to the Hyde Park campus spend the weekend in the Hudson Valley. The Valley is beautiful this time of year, and there are many things to do and visit. You have many vineyards, the Vanderbilt Manson, the Roosevelt Manson and Library, the CIA campus and their restaurants, and much more.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kiyotei

I've found the "which wood to use" question tough to answer.  There is a real personal taste factor to deal with.  I think the only good approach is try different variations of woods with the meat and see what you like.  Some people like strong smoke flavor and others like mild smoke flavor.  Some people hate mesquite but I like it on brisket.  I often find myself running out of a particular wood in the middle of a smoke and have to mix whatever pucks I have (yea not too good at that plan ahead thing).  I find mixing two or more wood types makes for better flavor on any meat.  I find chicken one of the toughest meats to smoke.  It really picks up smoke flavor and can be easily overwhelmed with smoke.

Ontrack

Thanks Hab and Kiyotei-good information. I have already chosen apple, and either maple or oak, plus probably one more to order this time. Still undecided on the third, just taking in all the info you guys are putting out. Probably order Saturday and hopefully have them by next weekend.

Tiny Tim

I usually go with Hickory on Beef, Mesquite on Turkey, and Apple on Pork.  Have some Oak and Pecan on hand as well...used oak on the cheese that I smoked, and while I didn't like it, I think it's more the cheese that I didn't like than the wood...actually, I didn't like the cheddar, but the Jack came out a little better.  Have not tried the burgers that I smoked at the same time as the cheese, maybe tonight.

Ontrack

Tiny Tim-let me know how those burgers turn out. I just cold smoked 2 filet mignons and 2 big porterhouse steaks (my first cold smoke). I had to really fight to keep the cab temp under 90 degrees.Ice, ice, and more ice. I smoked them for 1 hour, then vacuum sealed them, now they're in a 33 degree fridge until tomorrow evening. The temp here in southwest Virginia is around 62 degrees, so I was a little surprised that it was so hard to keep the temps down. Of course I'm using the Bradley just as it came out of the box, without all of the cold smoking modifications. I think I'll either have to wait on cooler weather or do the mods before I attempt to cold smoke cheese. But if the smell of the steaks in the vac seal bags is any indication, I think they took the hickory smoke very well. Looking forward to the grill out tomorrow night!

Steve