• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID/TC Snip first, ask questions later.

Started by Ted, September 26, 2007, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I made a stupid mistake.  I ordered an Omega TC for the PID I am putting together.  I ordered it extra long so I could snip some wire to add a mini jack onto the back of my project box.  I have removed the plug and snipped and stripped the wires...

So, which color is + and which is -?  Green and red little wires, forgetful idiot with the wire strippers.

Anyone? 

Mr Walleye

Ted

I did exactly the same thing when I built mine!  ???

I can't remember for sure but if they are connected wrong your temp will be backwards. You will just have to switch them around. It's a good idea to leave everything apart when you firs connect all the wires so you can plug the PID in by itself and test to see that the temp is reading correctly anyway. Once you have it wired up, just plud it in and hold the TC in your hand and you should see the temp begin to rise.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ted

As long as it does not smoke and melt I'll be happy.  I know I'll have to leave it all apart when I test.  Not only have I never put together anything remotely as complicated as this, I added the complication of the TC jack, a lighted power switch, and the funky power inlet/outlet.

I should be taking pictures!  :)  That will give me something to do while I wait for the (hopefully) last parts!

Tiny Tim

Wish I could help ya, but I had mine hooked up backwards for the initial test, and don't remember which is correct.  I'm thinking I had the red wire where the wiring diagram had the red wire the first time.

Mr Walleye

Ted

I took this off the information on Olds site here:
http://susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=504#post504

The Following Steps Are My Connections: *
Connected the thermocouple (TC) to the PID. On the PID, 4 is positive and 5 is negative. The positive on the Auber TC is red. The negative on the Auber TC is yellow. Tightened these two screws.

and this.....

Test 1:
Being careful not to touch any exposed wires, terminals, ect., I plugged the power cord with the male end into a power outlet.
At that point the LED on the PID should light up. Holding the end of the thermocouple in my hand I saw a temperature rise on the PID. If not, then the positive and negative connections for the TC are likely backwards.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

On some of the Fluke TC wire red is -. Go figure! Like Mike said just swap wires if temp doesn't rise on the first try. :)

Ted

I think I got it.  I found a table on the Omega site that hopefully set me straight.  But I'll definitely be testing it all up before everything gets tightened and closed.

Stickbowcrafter

Before any cutting or disconnecting, take a digital picture of everything so you'll know where everything goes should you get lost.

-Brian