• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Anyone ever add a damper to their OBS?

Started by Stickbowcrafter, September 29, 2007, 05:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickbowcrafter

Just curious if anyone ever retrofited their OBS with a damper. A lot of home-built smoker plans call for a lower damper as well as a top vent (which of course the OBS already has). Plus a lot of sausage recipes I use specifically mention opening the top vent and the damper completely. All of this is done to increase air flow and speed the drying of the casings. I've never had a problem with any sausage out of my OBS but I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if there was an significant advantage to doing so.

-Brian

Wildcat

I think the feed tube to the smoker unit is similiar to a damper that is wide open.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Also the vent slots on the side of the generator act as a lower damper to allow draft. I believe that is all you need for the BS. If you do add an additional damper, you would probably need to add a fan on the top vent; similar to the vent fan NaPa uses, to increase the air flow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

I wondered how functional the vents on the generator were. Kind of thought they helped since everything I have thrown at the OBS has turned out darn good. Thanks for the info.

-Brian